The Shard

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 15 April 2003 7.04pm
There was a feature today on BBC LDN news regarding discussions over the Shard (London Bridge Tower).

Anyone know what's come of this, or if they've been completed?

English Heritage were talking on various media today of the protected views etc.

Interestingly, I learned that the venerable Guy's Tower - which makes Guy's the tallest hospital in the world, apparantly - is currently the 4th tallest in London.

PS When will the Gherkin be completed, btw?
Wednesday 16 April 2003 12.08am
The public enquiry started today. I have included the text of LB Southwark's Press Release below. Completion of the Inspector's report and a ministerial decision is likely to take another six months minimum.

English Heritage's press release (opposing the scheme) is at:
See earlier Forum posts with some links at:

15 April 2003

The public inquiry into the London Bridge Tower starts today (Tuesday 15 April)

It takes place at Bankside House, 24 Sumner Street, SE1 starting at 9.30am each day and continuing until 8 May.

The London Bridge Tower will be a 1000 ft landmark designed by the world-renowned architect, Renzo Piano.

In March 2002, Southwark Council approved planning permission for the tower to be built on a site adjacent to London Bridge Station. In July 2002, the Deputy Prime Minister called in the planning application so that a public inquiry could consider the issues involved.

The inquiry will hear evidence from Renzo Piano, property developer Irvine Sellar, Director of Regeneration at Southwark Council, Paul Evans, London Mayor advisor, Richard Rogers, The Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment, and English Heritage.

For further information about Southwark Council's role in the inquiry please contact Rachel Fox on 020 7525 2297.

More information about the tower can be obtained by visiting

Post edited (16 Apr 03 13:49)
Wednesday 16 April 2003 12.12am
See also our news section for some of the latest artist's impressions of the tower and more on the Inquiry:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 16 April 2003 1.40pm
The panoramic image of the tower at the top of the developers web site at illustrates better the shocking scale and impact that this would have on the skyline of London.
English Heritages' website has a very clear and persuasive explaination of its stance on the scheme and why it should be opposed. Everyone concerned about this proposal should read it.
Wednesday 16 April 2003 2.54pm
Oh for goodness sake, SE1 needs it desperately in order for our house prices to carry on rising the way they have. SE1 is horribly run down, and a seminal development like this one will be fantastic.

EH can campaign for cobbles outside registry offices to their heart's content (sorry, Jan!) but when it comes to holding up the whole evolution and expansion of the city we love/hate then they should shut up. Just think if they'd blocked Wren's plans for St Paul's because of its effect on the skyline.

Move forward! Evolve!
Wednesday 16 April 2003 5.55pm
"SE1 needs it desperately in order for our house prices to carry on rising the way they have"

... Hmm - do I scent that mapmaker has troll-like tendencies?
(NB Given the webmaster's concerns about defamation, "troll" is hereby taken to mean "characterised by a desire to sit on the foreshore under London Bridge", and not "intentionally making provocative assertions to ensure subsequent flaming".)

Happy Easter to everyone - including Mr Sellar and MM.

Post edited (16 Apr 03 18:08)
Wednesday 16 April 2003 11.19pm
The new visuals are beautiful. What a shame the crappy Guy's tower is standing forlornly alongside.

Thursday 17 April 2003 12.11am
I can't understand why English Heritage are getting so worked up about the impact of the LBTower on certain views of the Tower of London and the Palace of Westminster from certain angles.

The "gherkin" looms right over the Tower of London as you walk across Tower Bdge does it not?And the not so glamorous Millbank Tower looms over the Palace of Westminster from various views(not to mention the LondonEye!)

I'm all for the LBTower and look forward to seeing it go up(I hope...).It will be a fantastic addition to the area, and make the view from my kitchen a hell of a lot more interesting!
Thursday 17 April 2003 1.21am
I think it's a lovely building, but needs to be quite a bit shorter.... It's completely out of scale for the area. Don't get me wrong - I love skyscapers, but they look best grouped together, rather than in isolation, which this one will be. Scale it down, or build it as it is, but in Canary Wharf, where it will look more majestic.
Thursday 17 April 2003 10.21am
Sitting on the foreshore under London Bridge? Don't understand you at all. But then I've never been a fan of middle earth, thought it was all a bit strange and spooky.

Not much of a fan of London either, best thing about it is getting out, so i shall not be anywhere near the foreshore before next week. Keep those skyscrapers and people in London, and leave the country for the rest of us!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: