Who was E&C regeneration chief Cathy Bowman really working for?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 21 July 2006 1.17pm
I hear that ex-E&C regeneration chief Cathy Bowman has now popped up as a highly paid lobbyist for one of the shortlisted companies in the E&C regeneration project - mere weeks after getting bounced by voters in the recent elections!

This is pretty bad. Certainly does not help to refute the case made by many that she was in the pockets of the developers and not working for her best interests of her consituents.....
Friday 21 July 2006 1.55pm
Is it not more encouraging that the knowledge and expertise built up while she was working on this programme, hasn't been lost?
Friday 21 July 2006 2.01pm
"More encouraging" than thinking she was taking taxpayer money and serving other people's interests?

IMO lobbying is about influence peddling, not "expertise".
Friday 21 July 2006 2.08pm
Next you'll be telling us she deliberately tried to lose the election as part of some cunning masterplan.
Friday 21 July 2006 2.28pm
Hmmmm....there could be, I guess, a "conflict of interest" angle here. I will ask the Elephant Trust guys and report.
Friday 21 July 2006 3.04pm
Osamede wrote:
This is pretty bad. Certainly does not help to refute the case made by many that she was in the pockets of the developers and not working for her best interests of her consituents.....

Former Labour Councillor, Tony Ritchie, had a rather different take on it in his letter to the South London Press last week:

Ex Councillor - right or wrong
Friday 21 July 2006 3.25pm
I read this link with interest Rabbie. I know both Tony Richie and Cathy Bowman. In many areas there is a kind of obligatory "cooling off period" (can be a year) before a person moves from one employer to another, in order to avoid any hint of inappropriate behaviour. Does this exist in UK?
Friday 21 July 2006 3.26pm
Not for (ex)-councillors, no.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 21 July 2006 6.17pm
Emmesse wrote:
Next you'll be telling us she deliberately tried to lose the election as part of some cunning masterplan.

Not really my point. Point is at whatever time she left office, is it ethically reasonable for her to immediately turn to influence peddling.

Who are constituents expected to think she was serving in office, in this situation?

So I dont think its relevant whether she resigned or was rejected in election. In either case she can still have had plans to ingratiate herself with these folks for a time when she would leave.

This sort of thing is increasingly common and it stinks. Its even worse with minsiters, who have a direct role in handing out all sorts of contracts to private companies and then join their boards in highly paid roles shortly after. Not coincicentally most of these companies provide very poor service.

I would think that Southward voters would have a right to ask same questions here.
Friday 21 July 2006 7.17pm
Watch this space. John Prescott is going to be a director of Berkeley/St.George sooner than you can say chipolata.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: