Congestion Charge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Jai
Wednesday 16 April 2003 8.22am
the Times has an article about spreading out the CC zone. They also mention his intention to reduce or abolish the discount to residents...

Now that seems more then fair to me !

Varkenslachter
Wednesday 16 April 2003 1.15pm
Buwahaaahahagagajoshiwababblitupstopermangurit
Max
Wednesday 16 April 2003 1.30pm
Which would mean??
Wednesday 16 April 2003 1.32pm
Yes, he was interviewed on BBC LDN last week and he spelt out his plans for the expansion. It will spread to the outer limit of central london (if that makes any sense) and he has plans to remove the discount scheme and replace it with a 'useage' scheme. Sounds like it will all happen quite quickly too.
Thursday 17 April 2003 11.05am
so the extension would go west to get all the old money toffs inside and east, but only north of the river, to get tracey and her new money arty mates inside. what about us SE proles? are the council going to help us?
Saturday 19 April 2003 7.19pm
I went to Ken's London conference in the autumn. (Nothing better to do on a Saturday?!) He had a rant about Westminister Council and suggested they had been bought off from taking legal action to stop the congestion charge by a promise that if successful it would be quickly expanded westwards. A Westminster Councillor confirmed this to me. The idea, then, apparantly was that it would stretch across all of Westminster and half of Kensington and Chelsea.

We may be proles in SE London, but I suspect we are also hampered by Councils who perhaps are less assertive in pursuit of residents interests.

Parking in Battersea Park, which we use on a near daily basis in school holidays, has just gone up to 1 per hour. I am slowly becoming reconciled to the fact that driving in London is becoming too expensive. Which actually is fine, as long as the bus service gets better. Though using my car is nice, other peoples traffic is noisy and smelly, and more walking will be good for me.
Sunday 20 April 2003 7.50am
I detect a political agenda here, as ever with opponents of our Ken. Some people would disagree with him if he gave away free holidays to every Londoner. He was quoted yesterday as saying he had no intention of putting up the charge for residents inside the ring. Believe him or wait and see. Stephen Norris, meanwhile, says he would scrap the charge altogether, even though the benefits are enormous and very obvious.
Tuesday 22 April 2003 11.03am
I most certainly would disagree if he were to give away free holidays to all London residents.

Who do you think would pay for them? Why, London residents! So your council tax would go up by 1,000; a whole extra raft of people would be drafted in to administer this gracious gift. The remaining cash after paying these public 'service' employees - say 750 - would be available for you to choose your 'free' holiday.

Free?

And one would be forced to go somewhere from an approved list as with all state handouts. And it would be politically correct too; so no safaris to Kenya to bring back the head of a Kudu or grouse shooting in Scotland or stag hunting on Exmoor. (All of which would put cash into the local relevant cash strapped rural economies before there is a howl of protest from urban trendies!)

We can do without this sort of 'social engineering', thank you very much!

Just to get back on thread... the congestion charging seems to have made London a better place, but that doesn't mean all Ken's social engineering plans are good things! I live just outside the zone in SE1, and there seems to be much less traffic in London generally so why he needs to extend the boundaries, who knows. Ah, something to do with raising more money from more people by catching more poor residents and making them pay for the priviledge of having a car.

Bah!
Tuesday 22 April 2003 2.07pm
Irony lives, I see.
Saturday 26 April 2003 4.49pm
It's onomatapeic
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: