Renting parking space in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 24 July 2006 10.59am
(James, I think this is OK - please delete if not)

The rusty Ivanhopper (old car) is not getting used much these days, and is on the verge of breaking down more often than it's running.

As we only use it for long trips, maybe 6 to 10 times a year, there's a fine line in cash terms between keeping the old thing running (with all the tax, servicing, insurance, etc that this entails) and hiring a nice new car every time we need to do a car journey.

The above is all background. My question is:

If we got rid of our car we would have an empty parking space. Secure (gated), and handy for transport (5 mins slow walk to Borough tube, 5 mins to Elephant tube).

Does anyone have a rough idea what the going rate might be for such a space if we were to let it out, please?

Thanks.

P.S. I'd also be interested to hear from anyone in the SE1 area who uses a car sharing scheme of any sort, or who has been mailshotted by one recently. I'm having difficulty finding any info about local ones.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 24 July 2006 11.16am
at least 150 per month
Monday 24 July 2006 12.07pm
Thanks. At that sort of money, it would cover car hire for us. Might be time to say goodbye to the old banger.

Monday 24 July 2006 1.19pm
Thanks Birdie. That's really helpful. You are now even more wonderful than you were before (I know. It scarcely seems possible, does it.)

Anonymous User
Monday 24 July 2006 2.11pm
Ha! The very thought!

(I could learn how to post to links without them running so far across the page though.)
Monday 24 July 2006 3.54pm
Ivanhoe
Coincidently I got a mailshot this morning from "Streetcar" who I was already planning on using later this year when the co. car disappears.Sounds like a sensible deal cost wise but kiss goodbye to any spur of the moment trips. They've had good press if that means anything and they have a car just round the corner from Shad Thames which is good for me. Just don't book it when I want it........
Monday 24 July 2006 4.44pm
Thanks Olin. I'd looked into them some time ago, but had since forgotten the name of the company, so your post is a great help.

If anyone knows any other similar car share companies, please put their names up on here.

Thanks again.

[If it's any help to anyone, we've used CarPoint recently for last minute "Oh, the blooming car won't start again and we're going away tomorrow" car hires, and found them to be friendly, flexible, and competitively priced - I'm sure that's what they're called. Corner of Borough Rd and Newington Causeway. Opposite Taste of Raj and Borough Police Station, and The Ship pub. No connection. Just a happy customer.]

Monday 24 July 2006 5.03pm
Second the comments re CarPoint. They may look a bit shambolic, but have always been very friendly, reliable and reasonable. At Christmas there's sometimes been a bottle of wine or some chocs to soften the blow of the bill. I think the corner site they occupy is the target for development, but hopefully not soon...
Tuesday 25 July 2006 8.47am
I am in the same position as Ivanhoe, and searched out both Streetcar and a second, Citycarclub.co.uk Try that one.

The going rate for a car space seems to be around 70 per month in my part of SE1 (Grange Road)

I was wondering if anyone has experience of sharing the cost of a car with someone.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: