Streets around Thorburn Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
JSG
Tuesday 25 July 2006 12.13pm
Dear Forum
I am hopefully just about to move to Longley Street and apart from visiting arancia over the years have never lived this far east. Does anyone have any views or inside knowledge on the area? In the past ten years I lived at Metro Central and then Long Lane so I know the general stuff, just interested more in the immediate vicinity.

Many thanks in advance
J
Tuesday 25 July 2006 2.11pm
JSG,

I moved to this area (Alma Grove) 8 months ago now and absolutely love it. The tree-lined roads and cottages are attractive; having a garden is great (especially in the last month or so); the people are generally very friendly and a nice mix of old and new (increasingly I see people coming back from the City on the bus and getting off in the area) and I've had no problems at all.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Chris
JSG
Tuesday 25 July 2006 3.56pm
Dear Chris
Thanks for your response - can't think of anything specific. Except: Where do you eat? (I know arancia) Where do you drink? Is there a decent local corner shop for newspapers, wine etc.?
Jim
Tuesday 25 July 2006 6.24pm
JSG,

In answer to your questions:

- We eat at Arancia (good local), the Hartley (good food, variable service, not too expensive), Bermondsey Kitchen (can be excellent, can be average, more expensive), the Garrison (we used to love this place, but the last time we went it wasn't up to scratch food wise, will try again though). The good places do tend to be focussed more towards Bermondsey St., but I think this will change. Classico take-away pizza is great as well and my housemate likes El Turkistan on the Old Kent Road for a kebab!

- I tend to drink around work in Moorgate, but at the weekend, Village East is good for a smart cocktail and the Woolpack is good for a pint.

- There are loads of local newsagents either on Southpark Road itself or there is one down on Lynton Road. All have the basics and, of course, Tesco is very close for food emergencies.

Let me know if you think of anything else.

Cheers,

Chris
JSG
Wednesday 26 July 2006 3.41pm
Dear chris
Thanks again!
J
Thursday 27 July 2006 11.56am
Hi JSG,

I've been living in the area (Reverdy Rd) for about 7 years now and love it.

Chris has given you the main points really. There are also the shops further up Southwark Park Rd (Co-op, Superdrug, etc). There's a branch of Castello Pizza near Bermondsey Tube, and you're only 5 mins from the Old Kent Rd which has a few places to eat.

There's also a good little sandwich bar / cafe on St James's Rd at the corner of Southwark Pk Rd.
Friday 28 July 2006 4.06pm
What's Castello pizza like? It looks pretty nice from the outside.
Monday 31 July 2006 12.07pm
carmenes82 wrote:
What's Castello pizza like? It looks pretty nice from the outside.

I like it. It's good value and the food's nice, not just pizzas. Worth checking out. I never went to the E&C one so I don't know how it compares.
Monday 31 July 2006 12.25pm
Will give it a try, thanks
ES
Thursday 19 July 2007 10.26pm
I have never moaned about food before on the internet,but I promised the delivery guy I would so... For the record, Pizza Classico was the worst pizza delivery experience I have ever had. I got back from work very late, and thought I'd treat myself to pizza. An hour and 10 minutes after I ordered, I rang to see where the pizza was. After an hour and 20 minutes it arrived. I moaned, they said I had to pay. I moaned some more, they offered me a quid off. At least I had the pizza, I thought. Then I sat down and opened it: tepid, and flaccid. My advice? Do not bother. Pizza classico = shocking.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: