Tate extension

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 25 July 2006 4.25pm
Saw a picture of the proposed Tate Modern extension on the BBC site (news also on this site).

Not sure what I think, looks a bit big for the site from that image...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5212900.stm

Another image here:

http://www.thisislondon.com/londoncuts/articles/23241100?source=EveningStandard

Very modern, I have to say...
Tuesday 25 July 2006 4.46pm
Tate Modern has been a fantastic addition to the area. But is it really not big enough already?

Why aren't they doing the same for another area? Surely they could deal with overcrowding by ploughing all this money into a satellite Modern in another location within 5 miles?
Tuesday 25 July 2006 6.29pm
I would expect an extension to the Tate Modern to be eye caching.

It looks taller than I was expecting Though ,But its more interesting than backside one two three.

Im not keen on the fact that it can be seen behind backside PowerStation from the millennium bridge., but its better than a block of flats.

it's a sham its not possible to go up the chimny.
Thursday 27 July 2006 4.17pm
easyrecall wrote:
Tate Modern has been a fantastic addition to the area. But is it really not big enough already?
Why aren't they doing the same for another area? ...

Well... It is great, but the impact upon people living nearby will be mixed. We have more hemming in, lose a green space (albeit not widely used) and get 4 more years of construction noise. I am in favour, but I would love to see some uncommercially zoned space left for people to use (as opposed to a Starbucks forecourt with tables classed as 'a London Square').

NB: resolutely not commenting on the relative quality of the Tate's collection :o)
Thursday 27 July 2006 11.18pm
Is this the building the Design Museum might move to or is that a different proposed building adjacent to the Tate Modern?
Thursday 27 July 2006 11.36pm
My understanding is that the Design Museum *may* move to the site to rear of Tate Modern but adjacent and just to the east of the proposed extension (a further stage of the site development if you like). But discussions are still ongoing and nothing is decided about that.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: