Stopping the cyclists at More London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 18 of 20
janefs Friday 12 June 2009 11.10pm
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

stop navel gazing and be, at least, slightly interesting.
Debrajoan Saturday 13 June 2009 12.39am
Zoe wrote:
I don't know how to put that thing on the o, I'm quite impressed by that as well!

Zoe,
Hold down Num Lock for a second, then hold down the Alt key while typing in 147 and voila, ô !
markadams99 Saturday 13 June 2009 12.44am
Ahem...'voilà' .
Zoe Saturday 13 June 2009 9.58am
oooo, my laptop didn't like that at all, I won't try it again! I'm not even clear why there is a num lock key on a laptop, when I think about it.

In an attempt to be more interesting for Jane I shall tell you how I fell off my bike. I was cycling past East Street and it was really messy with rubbish blowing around. A carrier bag got sucked into my gears, and completely wrapped itself in them, throwing me off.

Those little cogs on the back wheel were bent into the wheel, and something else snapped. When I took it in to be repaired they stared in amazement at what I'd done, it looked a real mess.

The worst thing is that as I lay there, completely bemused as to what had happened, more rubbish blew onto me, and a cardboard box that was blowing around hit me.

Even when I was sat on the side of the road trying to fix it (the carrier was in the way and I couldn't at that point see why I couldn't move the back wheel), more rubbish was blowing at me, it was really bad. Of course, 5 minutes after this the bin men arrived to clean up.

However, I am glad that toilet is there as my hands were filthy, probably from touching one of the dirtieist road in Southwark!

On a positive note, I didn't rip my jeans or fall in dog poo, both of which had gone through my mind as a concern as I fell...lol
Debrajoan Saturday 13 June 2009 3.11pm
markadams99 wrote:
Ahem...'voilà' .

Pardon m'sieur, je suis desolée........
Laphroaig Saturday 13 June 2009 6.22pm
Yikes, Zoe, what an awful thing to happen!
Zoe Saturday 13 June 2009 8.22pm
My pride was more injured than anything - lol (except of course my gears which need replacing, but the part is only 10, and I have cover with Halfords, so they'll cover the repair but being Halfords it will take two weeks).

How is SW1 working out?
theedy Saturday 13 June 2009 9.41pm
Zoe, that sounds not nice, but to go back to Janefs and the Highway Code, I can't find when they repealed the clause, which I am sure said;

"A pedestrian on a footpath, seeing an oncoming jogger, must, immediately, vaporise, unless failure to do so would not require said jogger to change course or slow down."

Maybe it does not matter as the joggers on the South Bank obey the law to the letter.
Zoe Saturday 13 June 2009 10.07pm
lol

A jogger actually ran into the back of my bike while I was wheeling it across Blackfriars Road at the crossing outside Southwark tube station. I appreciate that I was taking up more than my fair share of space as I had my bike, but it was really busy so he would have had difficulties getting around all the people, and there was only a space around me because I had my bike, everywhere else was packed. I also had my helmet on, and I'm a little fat woman in a flouresent jacket with a lilac mountain bike, so I'm quite hard to miss (except on Tooley Street, where all cyclists are invisible to all pedestrians).

He was really abusive, and I was quite taken aback, but of course I understand now that it was because I was in breach of the above rule and it was all my fault, which does clear it up a bit.
kenhaynes Monday 15 June 2009 9.22pm
Went for a whizz around Richmond Park and Wimbledon Common, then home along the riverside from Barnes to Putney, all in the sunshine. Then later got caught in the warm rain. What a brilliant day to cycle in London.
Current: 18 of 20

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions