Stopping the cyclists at More London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 20
Saturday 23 May 2009 4.16pm
i don't cycle in London, but I do sympathize with cyclists who press ahead thru red lights and mow down civilians (scythes on wheels is an idea whose time has come again). I sympathize because cycling is so obviously a good thing and part of the attraction is the physical and mental puzzle of optimizing progress. The problem arises because cyclists share the road with powerful, dangerous monsters and so are tempted to move to footpaths. The problem will persist until every last pedestrian has been scythed down or until motor vehicles are banned from inner-city roads. The latter is more humane, tho less fun.
Saturday 23 May 2009 5.00pm
You may scoff at the notion of 'cycling dynamics' (and it was expected) but unless you appreciate how bikes utilise space on roads you'll not see the difficulties and opportunities they present. Indeed Ivanhoe, cycling presents a vastly different option to either walking or car use and needs laws accordingly that befit their status and requirements, until then alas these arguments will go round and round not unlike wheels themselves.
Saturday 23 May 2009 5.01pm
Saturday 23 May 2009 8.22pm
Tolstoy wrote:

Absloutely!
Saturday 23 May 2009 8.42pm
Tolstoy wrote:
You may scoff at the notion of 'cycling dynamics' (and it was expected) but unless you appreciate how bikes utilise space on roads you'll not see the difficulties and opportunities they present. Indeed Ivanhoe, cycling presents a vastly different option to either walking or car use and needs laws accordingly that befit their status and requirements, until then alas these arguments will go round and round not unlike wheels themselves.
So if I read you correctly the reason Cyclists don't adhere to Road Traffic Law is because the laws are wrong?
Sunday 24 May 2009 5.58pm
Tolstoy wrote:
I wouldn't scoff at cyling. I'm fully cognisant of all its benefits. But, as you highlight yourself, it suffers because it's neither one thing nor the other.
Cyclists don't feel they should follow all the rules fo the road, because they feel that they're not really road vehicles (or however else you want to define your term "cycling dynamics").
Pedestrians, on the other hand, feel that the pavement is their safe haven and so are concerned about cyclists who cycle off the road.
One answer is almost certainly to live in a newly built country, on largely reclaimed flat land, where you can build a third space for cyclists as they do so well in Holland. I don't know what the simple answer is for an old town like London.

However, I would scoff at someone who has the courage to take to the road on a pushbike in combination with the foolhardiness to think that constantly breaking traffic rules will not end up with them on the worst side of an accident.

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 24 May 2009 7.00pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
I don't know what the simple answer is for an old town like London.
Ban motor vehicles altogether.
Sunday 24 May 2009 7.00pm
Monday 25 May 2009 11.21am
I have had a bike for most of the last forty years, used it to get to school, university and now work. I have third party liability insurance, stop at red lights and would never dream of mounting the pavement, except on designated cycle routes. And I'm really angry at people on this website using the word cyclists as an insult. Not all of us are lycra clad hostiles bent on mowing down pedestrians and cutting up cars. Some of us wear civvies, pootle and use bikes as the most convenient (and healthy) way to get around this town.
Zoe
Monday 25 May 2009 1.38pm
How do you get third party liability, is it expensive?

I'm also unhappy at the way some people seem to pathologically hate cyclists - there are lots of people in London who break the law, why are some people obsessive about cyclists, I find those who drive and talk on their mobiles quite annoying, shall we start a thread about that. James is right, this is a dull subject.
Current: 11 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network