Stopping the cyclists at More London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 12 of 20
Monday 25 May 2009 12.54pm
Zoe. Comes as part of the package with my bike insurance from Cycleguard (no connection etc). Totals less than 95 for the year.
Monday 25 May 2009 1.54pm
And third party insurance comes free with London Cycling Campaign membership, at about 35 a year.
Monday 25 May 2009 4.41pm
I think the reason people are more upset about rude and dangerous cyclists than drivers is that it's very rare for a car to mount the pavement and come within inches of hitting you. Unfortunately, it's not a rare occurrence to have a silent cyclist come shooting past you suddenly when you're just walking along. If every cyclist were as responsible and polite as kenhayes, there would be no problem.

Zoe, you may find it boring, but the topic is not going to go away as long as there is no resolution. And there will be no resolution as long as some cyclists insist that they are special and should be exempted from the laws that everyone else follows. Personally I think two efforts are necessary: Make it very clear where cycling is allowed and where it isn't, and crack down on cyclists who are breaking the law. Perhaps the London Cycling Campaign could work on the first part.
Zoe
Monday 25 May 2009 5.00pm
And yet it's cyclists that are being killed and the stats show that pedestrians face danger from cars, not bikes.

People shouldn't ride in an ignorant manner, you are quite right (people shouldn't be ignorant to others about anything, not just cycling), but why aren't people more upset about dangerous driving, when you look at the stats this is much more of a problem for pedestrians, yet there aren't pages filled with complaints about it (though you are right L, I shouldn't be flippant, what will we do when you've moved on?)
Monday 25 May 2009 5.07pm
Laphroaig wrote:
....And there will be no resolution as long as some cyclists insist that they are special and should be exempted from the laws that everyone else follows. ....

I saw a very special cyclist two weeks ago - well he obviously thought he was - at the A13/A12 junction north of the river. I am not exaggerating - his cycle was covered with jagged metal, like shark's teeth, about 3 or 4 cm high. This was on his mudguards, handlebars, gloves and (I think) the pedals. Clearly not a person to tangle with, as he rode off at speed along the pavement, and it certainly would not be boring, just painful.

The sensible fraternity will have great trouble getting their point across while there are idiotic thugs like that around.
Monday 25 May 2009 5.52pm
Zoe wrote:
And yet it's cyclists that are being killed and the stats show that pedestrians face danger from cars, not bikes.
People shouldn't ride in an ignorant manner, you are quite right (people shouldn't be ignorant to others about anything, not just cycling), but why aren't people more upset about dangerous driving, when you look at the stats this is much more of a problem for pedestrians, yet there aren't pages filled with complaints about it (though you are right L, I shouldn't be flippant, what will we do when you've moved on?)
Sad though the loss of life is, far too many of the cyclists that have died of late have done so when passing a lorry or bus on the left in the gutter. Whilst I make no excuses for the failure of the driver to spot them, I do think it is common-sense not to undertake large vehicles.

When you learn to ride a motorcycle or scooter they drum in to you over and over again, that passing on the left is fool hardy. They also go on and on and on about something called a 'lifesaver' otherwise known as looking before you change position on the road.

If the majority of cyclists adhered to these simple common-sense measures plus remained within road traffic law then I suspect less would be killed. Perhaps it's time for compulsory basic training for cyclists?

Roads are (like it or not) a shared space with shared rules and there should be proper enforcement for all users.

I nearly took out a cyclist today... she decided to cycle over a pedestrian crossing after the light had turned green. I wouldn't mind bit it even had an offset island and was clearly for pedestrians only. I did an emergency stop and beeped her, she just gave me a look of indignation. Nice attitude!
Zoe
Monday 25 May 2009 7.19pm
People are making gross generalisations, if was about another subject more people would be objecting, I'm still not clear why people think that cyclists should be singled out, when there are so many other groups of people who behave in an ignorant manner.
Monday 25 May 2009 8.43pm
Zoe wrote:
People are making gross generalisations, if was about another subject more people would be objecting, I'm still not clear why people think that cyclists should be singled out, when there are so many other groups of people who behave in an ignorant manner.
Well the conversation is hardly going to be about cars, buses, taxi's or motorcycles given that the title contains the word 'cyclists'.
Zoe
Tuesday 26 May 2009 7.52am
lol !! (though I'm sure you got my point)
Tuesday 26 May 2009 8.42am
Zoe I would suggest that the stats regarding the danger of bikes to pedestrians are completely worthless. For a start in my experience having been hit and injured by 2 cyclists - neither of who actually stopped except to get back on their bikes - what would be the point of reporting the accident .... hence there is going to be massive under reporting. Has anyone on this forum actually reported an injury to the police? You would have to be extremely unlucky to die by being hit by a cyclist - so not surprisingly cars come out on top for danger - even if they didn't - how many injuries do you think would justify cyclists actually obeying the law ....
Current: 12 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network