Stopping the cyclists at More London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 13 of 20
Zoe Tuesday 26 May 2009 1.28pm
I think cyclists should obey the law, where did you get from my posts that I don't?

I'm just not clear why cyclists are being singled out, amongst all the law breakers many of whom are even more dangerous to pedestrians that cyclists are.
Boss St Bloke Tuesday 26 May 2009 1.36pm
I think the problem is that most of us walking around the city see more cyclists breaking the rules of the road than any other group - I expect to see at least 10 red light ignores and at least as many pavement pedalers just on the way to work.

Tom Pepper Tuesday 26 May 2009 3.15pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
I think the problem is that most of us walking around the city see more cyclists breaking the rules of the road than any other group - I expect to see at least 10 red light ignores and at least as many pavement pedalers just on the way to work.

This is very true. One has come to expect cyclists to ignore red lights, and it's a matter for comment when they do not. Of course other road users break the law too. I'm no angel, as a black cab driver I have run the odd red light, usually out of frustration at someone dawdling in front of me, but I know that I'm taking a chance on getting a ticket if I do it, I haven't got carte blanche to do so, as cyclists appear to have. Don't get all bent out of shape, I neither want, nor expect carte blanche, running a red is wrong, I know it and if I do it and get a ticket then it's on me, I'll bite the bullet. Whereas the majority of cyclists, unlike that nice Zoe and Mike Haynes would probably scream foul if they were ticketed.
Boss St Bloke Tuesday 26 May 2009 4.10pm
Spot on Tom.

The key word here is accountability.

Your registration number is on show for all to see - including CCTV. The penalty to you would be high - should you get caught.

Selfish cyclists have no such accountability.

urbanite Tuesday 26 May 2009 4.52pm
For every responsible considerate and careful cyclist there seem to be a great number who are not. Sure some stop at red lights but this only ever seems to happen when there is cross traffic which hinders them....if there is no obviuos traffic restriction cyclists seem to ignore the general rules of the road to a far greater degree than other users (apologies to those who do but you are in the minority). There is only 1 pitch and everyone needs to play by the same rules. Sorry about the loss of momentum this causes but that is part of the joy of cycling in an urban enviroment...is it not?
Debrajoan Tuesday 26 May 2009 7.01pm
urbanite wrote:
For every responsible considerate and careful cyclist there seem to be a great number who are not. Sure some stop at red lights but this only ever seems to happen when there is cross traffic which hinders them.... cyclists seem to ignore the general rules of the road to a far greater degree than other users (apologies to those who do but you are in the minority). There is only 1 pitch and everyone needs to play by the same rules.

Urbanite, you know that you are right, I know that you are right, and Mr. Pepper and B.S.B. no doubt are in agreement with us that you are right, but there is probably an army of two wheeled dissidents that would feel that you are preaching heresy.
kenhaynes Tuesday 26 May 2009 8.07pm
Coming down Decima Street tonight on my way home (a designated cycle route) a jogger was running down, not across the road, in my direction. A car was overtaking at the time and I could not move out as I would have caused an accident. The jogger screamed at me for coming too close, as if I should not have been on the road!! I guess that there are just plenty of complete twonks about, on two legs, two wheels, four wheels or more. Here's to a little more civility and acceptance of shared space in this crowded city.
jonnyp42 Tuesday 26 May 2009 8.34pm
kenhaynes wrote:
Here's to a little more civility and acceptance of shared space in this crowded city.
Indeed, I'll second that.
Laphroaig Tuesday 26 May 2009 8.37pm
I'll third it. What a jerk! Why wasn't he running on the pavement?
Debrajoan Tuesday 26 May 2009 9.05pm
Laphroaig wrote:
I'll third it. What a jerk! Why wasn't he running on the pavement?

Maybe he presumed that jogging in the road was safer than taking a chance on being run down by a cyclist riding along the pavement!
Okay! Okay! Cheap shot I know, but I could not resist it!
Current: 13 of 20

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions