Stopping the cyclists at More London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 15 of 20
Monday 8 June 2009 3.04pm
LonDan wrote:
Whether this is peculiar to the UK I do not know, although suspect some of it is.

It's not. The same dynamic happens in San Francisco.

Markadams99, it's a nice idea, but it's not going to happen. I'd love to see a refrigerator delivered by rickshaw.

Peter O, I agree with you.
Monday 8 June 2009 4.07pm
'... it's not going to happen. I'd love to see a refrigerator delivered by rickshaw.'

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42391835@N00/3607117695/in/set-72157619441312872/
Monday 8 June 2009 6.02pm
Laphroaig wrote:
LonDan wrote:
Whether this is peculiar to the UK I do not know, although suspect some of it is.

It's not. The same dynamic happens in San Francisco.

Markadams99, it's a nice idea, but it's not going to happen. I'd love to see a refrigerator delivered by rickshaw.

Peter O, I agree with you.
Bluddy 'eck, I could easily pull a fridge in a cart. Now an elephant, you'd probably need a bigger cart and a couple of cyclists. It would still be quicker than delivering an elephant by truck in London.
Monday 8 June 2009 6.46pm
Adding to Tolstoy's link above:


Notice - no emissions, no droppings. The reason that the footfolk moan about cyclists is that they live to tell the tale. i suppose that's a good thing.
Tuesday 9 June 2009 10.37pm
Just for those of you who think that cyclists are always in the wrong. Today I had the journey from hell into work. Three pedestrians stepped out in front of me, at different locations, on all occasions when I had right of way. Two resulted in hard braking and skidding. The first guy crossing Harper Road at Newington Causeway, on a green traffic light - red man, cursed me. The second just stepped off the pavement onto the cobbles at Covent Garden when I was a couple of yards away - he apologised. The third resulted in a collision as I turned into Imperial College from Queens Gate (a turn I always take slowly and with my bell ringing as pedestrians seem to think that they have right of way even though there is no crossing) as the guy literally stepped out into me and knocked me off the bike. Nobody hurt and polite exchange. So sometimes pedestrians are a danger to cyclists. Thankfully the journey home was much less eventful, and I even managed a jolly thank you and smile from a couple as I rang my bell turning into the cycle lane that runs the opposite way down Webber Street off The Cut. Made my day.
Wednesday 10 June 2009 6.57am
kenhaynes wrote:
Just for those of you who think that cyclists are always in the wrong. Today I had the journey from hell into work. Three pedestrians stepped out in front of me, at different locations, on all occasions when I had right of way. Two resulted in hard braking and skidding. The first guy crossing Harper Road at Newington Causeway, on a green traffic light - red man, cursed me. The second just stepped off the pavement onto the cobbles at Covent Garden when I was a couple of yards away - he apologised. The third resulted in a collision as I turned into Imperial College from Queens Gate (a turn I always take slowly and with my bell ringing as pedestrians seem to think that they have right of way even though there is no crossing) as the guy literally stepped out into me and knocked me off the bike. Nobody hurt and polite exchange. So sometimes pedestrians are a danger to cyclists. Thankfully the journey home was much less eventful, and I even managed a jolly thank you and smile from a couple as I rang my bell turning into the cycle lane that runs the opposite way down Webber Street off The Cut. Made my day.

Of course cyclists are not always in the wrong. All road users have to contend with the London Lemming (or pedestrian).

The only cyclists I have a problem with are ones that ignore Road Traffic law and behave in an inconsiderate manner towards others. I also have a problem with the car drivers & motorcyclists that behave poorly as well... roads are a shared space.
Wednesday 10 June 2009 11.56am
When a law is persistently broken by typically law-abiding people, there's a message. In this case the message is "deliver fridges by bike" or as Norman Tebbit would say "On yer bike."
Wednesday 10 June 2009 3.23pm
markadams99 wrote:
When a law is persistently broken by typically law-abiding people, there's a message. In this case the message is "deliver fridges by bike" or as Norman Tebbit would say "On yer bike."

Yes we know ban all cars, lorries etc. A person who breaks the law is not 'typically law-abiding'.

In fact there are very 'law-abiding' people in this world... if people are honest with themselves they'd recognise that more often than not, the vast majority of people commit some form of minor offence on a regular basis.

In the case of cyclist I'd say the persistent nature of their offending is more related to a lack of real enforcement and the absence of a tangible penalty...
Wednesday 10 June 2009 5.47pm
In the case of cyclists I'd say the persistent nature of their offending is more related to a lack of real enforcement and the absence of a tangible penalty...[/quote]


Ladeez and Gennulmen! We have a winner !
Zoe
Wednesday 10 June 2009 7.43pm
Car drivers are the worst offenders for law breaking, because they speed - we just don't think it's something that is particularly illegal. In fact, it's the subject of debate as to whether it should even be illegal, imagine if we discussed other crimes in this way. Most drivers speed every day, even if it's just by a few miles an hour, it's still illegal and potentially dangerous. I speed myself, so I count myself in this.

I was nearly kncoked down today on the way home by one of those concrete lorries, the man was so outraged that I very nearly got in his way as he pulled out from Pocock Stret without looking that he came up behind me and beeped repeatedly. Pulling out without looking is no less illegal than going through a red light, but the effects on me would have been much worse I feel!!
Current: 15 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network