Stopping the cyclists at More London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 20
Monday 7 August 2006 1.18pm
They seem to make it work in Amsterdam - mind you the last time I was there there was a nasty accident between a cyclist and a tram!
Monday 7 August 2006 11.10pm
Unfortunately, it is not the sensible sedate cyclists that amble along the riverside that we are talking about. It is those who seem to be in pursuit of the ‘Yellow Jersey' and present a hazard to everyone else. Once again, I have to say I support More London's actions and wish the other Landlords would take responsibility for their sections of the river.
Tuesday 8 August 2006 12.06am
ADT wrote:

Unfortunately it's hard to allow sensible sedate cyclists to ride in otherwise pedestrianised areas taking in the view and so on whilst at the same time keeping out the less sensible types who might precipitate accidents.

Absolutely spot on point ADT! The considerate cyclists are already no problem for pedestrians. And, the young rapscallions who whizz dangerously along the riverside (who give all cyclists a bad name) will not be stopped by a few guards in highviz vests.

In fact the problem here is not about cyclists per se, it is about anti-social behaviour. By way of example, a friend of mine got shoved over by a burly jogger running at full pelt in Clink street a while ago (it can get quite crowded there). Should we ban joggers? Of course not. What we need to do is take action against overt anti-social behaviour. Blanket bans in this case actually harm the considerate and have no impact on the inconsiderate.

What might such action be like? There are lots of possibilities; some police on the look out for reckless cyclists, street furniture which makes high speed cycling difficult, perhaps we could encourage people to be more confident/assertive against those cycling in a reckless manner in crowds. There are pros and cons to these and other solutions - but that is part of a larger question.

Anyway, I was down at More London on Sunday (cycling carefully) and it was just loverly!

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Tuesday 8 August 2006 10.25am
There is a wider problem here.

More London owns a huge chunk of one of the most important and historic parts of Central London. London must be made to work for Londoners and for visitors, not just for other people who are making money out of it. This is what planning laws are for. It is irresponsible and defeatist to accept that the 'owners' have every right to make up and enforce whatever rules they like over 'their' land.

There have already been some anxious postings on this forum about the coming local transport crisis when all the new developments, including the Shard, are complete. The buses and trains are already full and more car parking would only make the place unliveable. A massive increase in the proportion of people cycling would seem to offer one of the few solutions. It is possible to design for this, without jeopardising pedestrian safety or comfort, but you have to think hard about it. Up until now, it has only been a clumsy afterthought.

Meanwhile, myself, I think it's sometimes OK to cycle in pedestrian spaces as long as a) you always give way to pedestrians and watch out for children and b) take off your helmet if you are wearing one.

Ann
Tuesday 8 August 2006 8.52pm
But of course. The arrogance of cyclists, who think that laws and rules should apply to everyone but themselves, never ceases to amaze. Am I now to believe that because you are environmentally friendly you some special right to inconvenience others.
The fact is, you do not have a god given right ride where you like along the river and it's about time something was done to resolve the matter.
As for the minority of considerate cyclists, it is a shame that you cannot follow your pursuit, but that's life.
Tuesday 8 August 2006 10.17pm
Westofbank - can I remind you that More London is private land and it follows that arrogant pedestrians are allowed to walk on the river path purely by consent of the property owners. They have no more rights than cyclists!
Tuesday 8 August 2006 11.04pm
jameslafonestreet: it doesn't follow that because More London is private land pedestrians have no more rights than cyclists. The Jubilee Walkway crosses that land and is a public footpath, so we all have the right to walk there. However, the Jubilee Walkway is not a designated cycle path (the clue's in the name, really), so none of us have the right to cycle there.
Tuesday 8 August 2006 11.14pm
Average speed of a pedestrian walking 2-3 mph, average speed of cyclist cycling 10-12 mph. See the difference? Until cyclists learn to dismount in a pedestrian area there needs to be seperation. If cyclists on the river path cycled where they are allowed and walked where they weren't allowed all would work swimmingly, they would still progress faster than walking alone and be in harmony with the other users.
Tuesday 8 August 2006 11.40pm
westofbank wrote:
But of course. The arrogance of cyclists, who think that laws and rules should apply to everyone but themselves, never ceases to amaze. Am I now to believe that because you are environmentally friendly you some special right to inconvenience others.
The fact is, you do not have a god given right ride where you like along the river and it's about time something was done to resolve the matter.
As for the minority of considerate cyclists, it is a shame that you cannot follow your pursuit, but that's life.

Hey relax westofbank, you sound really uptight. You might find getting on a bike will make you feel happier...

Go for a nice moonlight cycle along the riverside. It might stop you posting over-broad and inflammatory posts. Being on a bike is good for the mind as well as the body. :o)

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Wednesday 9 August 2006 8.17am
A late arrival on this thread....yesterday I was nearly mown down by a cylist on the pavement of London Road. He did, I must say, say sorry....but why was he THERE? I dont know why there is no "Highway code" for cyclists but I hear the Mayor is thinking of making cyclists have number plates and so on, which MIGHT help. But I agree, it's just bad manners and anti social behaviour, and we seem a long way from being able to control that.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network