Stopping the cyclists at More London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 20
Wednesday 23 August 2006 9.36am
No-one is denying that a number of cyclists behave without consideration for others or the Highway Code. But the same could be said for a number of motorists, motorcyclists and pedestrians. IMHO, it doesn't really further the debate about More London to focus on them, when the vast majority of users of all types are basically considerate, law-abiding human beings who can be trusted to look out for themselves and others.

The debate on More London should surely focus on whether it is practical to accomodate cyclists without causing a conflict with the needs and safety of either themselves or predestrians. As a cyclist, I have sympathy with the wishes of other cyclists to ride through More London - but I doubt it's practical to let them do so without giving rise to such a conflict.

It's no skin off anyone's nose to dismount from their bike here and there where necessary along the South Bank, e.g. Oxo Tower or More London. It doesn't detract from the pleasure of what must surely be one of the greatest views in the world. If you're in more of a hurry than that - well, as I said in an earlier message, there is a well-marked, on-road cycle route using the quiet roads just behind the South Bank where you can cycle flat-out if you wish to.

Cycle parking at More London and, once redeveloped, at Potters Field, remains an issue. The local group, Southwark Cyclists, have been pressing for better provision at both sites and there is some evidence that Southwark Council/TfL are now focusing on this, in discussion with More London where relevant.
Wednesday 6 September 2006 4.19pm
Having being told to get off my bike outside City Hall yesterday, I have managed to negotiate a deal with the Mayors office. Anyone SE1 resident printing out and carrying this card will be exempt from the ridiculous rule as long as they cyle at a sedate pace and show consideration to walkers.

Cards must be shown to anyone wearing a yellow jacket on demand and you must not pretend you haven't seen or heard such persons.
Wednesday 20 May 2009 10.14am
Hi I wanted to revive this thread and to ask whether any further progress had been made with More London and whether any changes since Boris came to power.

I am stopped sometimes and always tell them that I can't see any signs - I genuinely can't!

I have a fundamental objection to the riverside being private property but moreover if you are cycling sensibly in that area I really can't see a problem as it is so wide.

It does get very crowded as the day wears on but early morning not that busy.

Does the card thing mentioned above still stand?

Today I did get off, as police stopped me, got back on just past Hays Galleria only to be completely bawled at by a very angry elderly gentleman in a suit - he hated that I ignored him, I think. I just said I am not doing any harm and rode on.
Wednesday 20 May 2009 12.24pm
xtinecop wrote:
... if you are cycling sensibly in that area I really can't see a problem as it is so wide....

But that's the problem, isn't it? Too many cyclists think that they can cycle at speed on busy pavements and claim the right of way over pedestrians. I don't mind people cycling sensibly but they should not put others at risk of injury.
Wednesday 20 May 2009 12.30pm
hmmm don't think you have added anything new here.

If you cycle sensibly there isn't a problem.

Of course it's a problem if you don't. FWIW I hate aggressive cyclists who blow whistles and shout at cars (yes I have seen this).

If I am pootling past the Mayor's office at a slow speed and there is space then there is no problem.

If ultra crowded then I would get off.
Wednesday 20 May 2009 12.49pm
Well, that's cleared up then.
Thursday 21 May 2009 12.08am
xtinecop wrote:
Today I did get off, as police stopped me, got back on just past Hays Galleria only to be completely bawled at by a very angry elderly gentleman in a suit - he hated that I ignored him, I think. I just said I am not doing any harm and rode on.

So, let me get this straight: The police asked you to get off, you got right back on again, your cycling upset an elderly gentleman, and you ignored him and his objections, upsetting him more.

I'm just curious: How exactly do you define "cycling sensibly"?
Thursday 21 May 2009 6.14am
The difficulty of the Thames path is that you are entitled to cycle along it as far as I'm aware and it doesn't make sense to define sections either for pedestrians or cyclists seperately (though even I might consider that section around Hays Galleria a little too tight for comfortable movement). If people were told they had to stop walking and cycle through portions of the route I wonder what would happen? I imagine many would chose to ignore the 'inconvenience'and start jotting notes of outrage to all and sundry. At a time when Boris wants to substantially increase the number of journeys to work by more sustainable forms of transport banning cyclists from the area is just a non-starter in my view.

What exactly is the reason given for disallowing movement past More? Seems odd this should be the attitude outside the Major's office.
Thursday 21 May 2009 6.31am
Tolstoy wrote:
The difficulty of the Thames path is that you are entitled to cycle along it as far as I'm aware

I don't think that's true, actually:

Can I cycle on the Thames Path?

The Thames Path National Trail is not a long distance route for cyclists. Most of the length of the Thames Path has public footpath status on which cyclists have no legal right to ride unless they have permission from the landowner. Cycling on a public footpath without permission is a trespass offense against the landowner. ... Within London some boroughs allow cycling on the Thames Path but it is a disjointed picture. See the FAQ on London cycling below for further information.

Can I cycle in or near London on the Thames Path?

Below is a list of sections of the Thames Path National Trail that provide more than just a few hundred metres for cycling off-road, with distances that can be cycled. Sections are listed from Shepperton Lock downstream to the Thames Barrier where the Thames Path finishes.

Shepperton Lock to Teddington Footbridge

• Shepperton Ferry to Molesey Lock (south bank of the river) 5 miles (9.2km)
• Hampton Court to Kingston Bridge on cycle route parallel to Thames Path (north bank of the river) 2.9 miles (4.6km)
• Canbury Gardens, Kingston to Teddington Footbridge on cycle route parallel to Thames Path (mostly off road and south bank of the river)1.6 miles (2.5km)

South Bank after Teddington Footbridge

• Kew Bridge to Chiswick Bridge 1 miles(2km)
• Hammersmith Bridge to Putney Bridge with last mile on road 1 miles(2.8km)
• Greenland Dock to Grove Street, Lewisham (Deptford Strand and Pepys Park) 0.6 miles (1km)
• West side of Greenwich Peninsular (from just south of Victoria Deep Water Terminal) to the Thames Barrier with some on quiet road 2.6 miles (4.2km)

North Bank after Teddington Footbridge

• Orleans Road, Twickenham, to Richmond Road, Isleworth with some sections on road 2.1 miles (3.3km)
• Syon Park from Park Road entrance to Brentford High Street mile (1.2km)
• Chiswick Bridge to Promenade Approach Road, Chiswick, mostly on quiet road or cycle route parallel to Thames Path 1.2 miles (1.9km)
• Narrow Street, Limehouse, to Cuba Street (north end of Westferry Road) 0.6 miles (1km)

Some signs along the Thames Path would be very helpful, to indicate whether or not cycling is permitted.
Thursday 21 May 2009 7.23am
Thanks for the clarification Laph though it essentially confirms my view that the rules are neither clear or indeed consistent. Cycling and cyclists are not about to go away as an issue and for far too long they have had to make do and fight for their space in an hostile road environment. Legislation has lag far behind what is required for sensible interaction between car, bike and persons and one can only hope that Boris' hyperbole shapes into something more effective on the ground, whether that be road or pavement. Shared space is surely the key here, effectively managed but also devised by someone who understands the dynamics of cycling momentum.
Current: 8 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network