Recycling Plastic Bags?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 4 August 2006 12.03pm
On BBC Breakfast this morning I noticed that one of the supermarket chains (Tesco, I think) were introducing a system where you could claim loyalty card points for returning plastic bags at the checkout (presumably for them to recycle).

Is anyone aware of this scheme operating locally? Or is there some other place/way I could recycle my unused plastic bags?

I live near to Bermondsey Street and already recycle my plastic bottles, containers etc. and use as many of supermarket bags as I can for bin liners.

Grateful for any advice.

Philip (first time poster)
Friday 4 August 2006 12.52pm
From the Southwark Council Recycling site:

"Plastic bags, polythene and mail wrappers
This includes both printed and unprinted polythene wrappers and bags. Things like vegetable bags, supermarket bags, mailing wrappers, bread bags, multipack wrappers and six pack rings.

Please note that polythene marked as 'degradable' cannot be recycled. It is very important that it doesn't get mixed up with ordinary polythene. All polythene items must be free of paper, food, sticky tape etc before they can be recycled.

Many major supermarket stores have Bag Banks in their car parks where you can recycle plastic bags.

Alternatively, send by post to

Polyprint Mailing Films Ltd
Mackintosh Road
Rackheath Industrial Estate
Rackheath
Norwich NR13 6LJ
"

Anyone know of an SE1 Supermarket that has recycling facilities for plastic bags ?
Friday 4 August 2006 12.55pm
Welcome to the forum...

The point is that you bring your bags (from any source, not just Tesco it seems) back to REUSE them to carry your groceries home, not for Tesco to take them away for recycling.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article1213394.ece
Friday 4 August 2006 1.17pm
it is a good idea-just been on holiday in France they do not give out plastic bags like we do you have to buy them and most people take their own bags along as a result.
Friday 4 August 2006 1.44pm
I get my shopping delivered by Tesco and you can give the driver your carrier bags to be recycled. Unfortunately I tend to forget to take all the bags out of the cupboard before the driver arrives so there are always bags spilling out!
Friday 4 August 2006 1.49pm
Refuse - think before taking a bag
Reuse - speaks for itself
Recycle - the last option

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 9 August 2006 2.32pm
In Ireland they introduced a cost for plastic bags which was wholeheartedly supported by the public. Most people quickly moved to pourchasing the heavier duty bags, and reusing them. Its a very, very easy habit to get into.

For those occasion when I do accept a thin plastic (for example, carrying frozen items in the same bag as new clothing), I let the bag dry and then save it. When I have enough I donate them to my local library or to a charity shop for reuse.

I wish they'd start charging for bags here, if only to stop counter staff assuming that you want one. The first thing the staff do before they ring up the items is.....pull open a plastic bag.
Wednesday 9 August 2006 2.51pm
Whenever I do a "big" shop (not all that often) I take collapsible crates in my car and refuse bags all together. Or I take my trolley. I do all I can to avoid bags but they do seem to creep up on me. I must remember to take them all back to Tesco.
Wednesday 9 August 2006 3.27pm
Lidl make you pay for bags and virtually no one takes them.

Sainsburys are very strange. They even offer me a bag when I buy a newspaper, and seem to get the hump when I refuse. They were downright agressive when I came in once with a pile of their bags which I wanted to reuse.

I assume they want the free advertising we provide when we carry their bags. Plus use it as a form of security. They certainly dont seem to like people walking out with stuff, though paid for, is not in one of their bags.

The waste involved in packaging is something I feel strongly about, but thoguht it was me being ideosyncratic. However I read recently that Ken Livingston would like to see a tax on bags.

So its me and Ken then...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: