St Mungo's Great Guildford Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 4 August 2006 2.53pm
Whats going on at St Mungo's? How many times a week do we have to deal with the fire alarm and fire trucks turning up with sirens blazing?

I can see into more than one of the windows of the hostel from my front room, and wonder if the smoke comes from certain recreational pursuits of some of the residents.
Monday 7 August 2006 7.39pm
I also live adjacent to St Mungos' the noise all night expecially in this hot weather is horrendous. I appreciate people need to keep their windows open in this hot weather- it is a pity , that people are not more considerate to others to try to keep the noise to a minimum.

St Mungo's residents seem to sit in their courtyard all night chatting, the noise echoes, and keeps everyone awake.

As for being a hostel that DOES NOT ALLOW drink , or inebriate persons into the hostel - WHAT HAS GONE WRONG? This rule has disappeard, why does the managerof St Mungo's not enforce it !
Thursday 10 August 2006 12.23am
I live just around the corner from St Mungo's and wrote to them last year. Initially I was fed up with their residents generally causing trouble and more annoyingly urinating in our doorway but the final straw was seeing someone shooting up opposite the hostel whilst on a Sunday afternoon walk with my daughter. I wrote a letter and got the most defensive response which certainly provided nothing in the way of an apology or even reassurance that they would do something. In fact, they just stated that anyone taking drugs in any way shape or form would have already banned from St Mungo's and was therefore not their responsibility. What they did not admit was that many of the people hanging around St Mungo's may well be banned but are there because their friends are still in there and are allowed out all day to get drunk/high so you have a large gang of people with common interests. Whilst I have tried to be as patient, liberal and tolerant as possible, I was made to feel that I was in the wrong to dare criticise an organisation that was only trying to help.
Wednesday 6 September 2006 11.38am

If you are experiencing such problems, and concerned enough about it, it might be worth-while responding to PC Julian Thorne's posting about the Comunity Ward Panel Meeting, on Oct 2nd, at Southwark Police Sation.

I believe you are in Cathedral Ward:

If you are interested in coming to the meeting to dicuss priorities that you feel we should be dealing with over the coming months please e-mail Sgt Stephen Dutton on or ring on 020 7232 6181 and leave a message.
Someone will get back to you.

I have been witnessing similar activity here with a needle exchange nearby.
Unfortunately, I am just outside the ward boundary, but am aware that this is a widespread problem.

Good luck!
Wednesday 6 September 2006 4.59pm
I just re-read my post and I do sound very indignant - if there's ever a non-celebrity version of 'Grumpy Old Women' I'll probably be top of the list! I have contacted Julian Thorne before and I am aware that he and others are trying to do something. I will check out the details of the meeting as there has been a very intimidating atmosphere in Mint Street Park and I noticed rough sleepers on Southwark Bridge Road today which is quite worrying.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: