Demolition of Old School House at 12 Grange Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
yas
Tuesday 8 August 2006 10.19am
I have just received a council letter for planning permission at the Old School House on the corner of Grange Road and Tower Bridge Road. I know a previous plan was rejected but this time they hope the demolish the entire building. Please send in your comments. The post code for the building is SE1 3BE. You need to send comments to Gerry Lombard, Council Offices, Chiltern, Portland Street, London SE17 2ES.

This should be a listed building but for some reason I don't think it has been done yet. We must preserve this piece of character to the neighbourhood.
Tuesday 8 August 2006 10.27am
Yas do you mean the old Bacon School? if so why?
Tuesday 8 August 2006 10.32am
Isn't it a good thing that Grange Road is being brought up to date and redeveloped?

What do the new plans entail - flats or mixed use?
Anonymous User
Tuesday 8 August 2006 10.51am
How can it be a good thing to pull down lovely old buildings like the school?

There's plenty of space further down Grange Road to build bland flats on.
Tuesday 8 August 2006 10.53am
I did read a lengthy piece once cant remember where - about the Bust that used to be in the niche?
Tuesday 8 August 2006 10.57am
Oh SURELY the building can be converted sympathetically without demolishing it...where WILL all this vandalism by developers end?
Tuesday 8 August 2006 11.07am
Fair point Birdie. Does anybody know what they are going to replace it with? Is it bland flats or something a bit different?
Tuesday 8 August 2006 11.19am
Birdie wrote:
There's plenty of space further down Grange Road to build bland flats on.

There's still that land free on the same side of the road where there used to be a petrol station. They should develop that first.

Isn't Bermondsey Square a conservation area or doesn't that extend to the buildings on Grange Rd ?
Anonymous User
Tuesday 8 August 2006 11.27am
AND where they pulled down the Final Furlong!
Tuesday 8 August 2006 11.28am
Details from Southwark's website:

Planning Information for Application Number 06-AP-1069

Demolition of existing 765sq.m. special needs facility, erection of new 1035sq.m. special needs facility with 9 self contained student flats and 20 self contained student studios above in two blocks, 5 storeys facing onto Grange Road and 4 storeys to the rear of the site. New pedestrian access off Grange Road to student accommodation

There was a thread about the previous application here last year:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/35133
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: