Gracelands Palace RIP

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 10 August 2006 2.38pm
OK it's on the SE14 end of Old Kent Road, but anyway...

Anyone know what happened to cause Gracelands Palace, the famous Chinese Elvis restaurant on the OKR, to close so suddenly? About a month ago it closed down and the garish Elvis murals were quickly painted over, but it all seems so sudden.

The food was rubbish, but it was a quirky and fun place.
Thursday 10 August 2006 2.57pm
OK I have answered my own question by ringing the old phone number for Gracelands Palace. A BT message gives you a new number and the bloke who answered it explained that Paul Elvis Chan has had some health problems and has moved to Hong Kong to be treated by a Chinese doctor there. So Gracelands Palace has lost its star and its mojo and shut down.

Then it became surreal. The guy clarified that I was speaking with "Chan Elvis" and he personally plans on "shaking his legs and rockin and a-rollin for another 24 years" at his own Elvis restaurant in Bexleyheath.

So there you have it.
Thursday 10 August 2006 4.30pm
last time we went there two Elvis or should it be Elvi appeared, one to warm the audience up, then the more senior was great fun but bexleyheath ...nah....
Thursday 10 August 2006 4.47pm
Only one of them sang when I went. I have to say the food was pretty poor, but it was a quirky and fun place and my nephews (9 and 12) loved it.
Thursday 10 August 2006 5.07pm
Not sure if the 133 bus is more convenient than the train to Beckenham for you Jan? From reports of hen parties attended by office colleagues, I think that Kim Bridges (survivor of the "Duelling Elvi of Streatham") is still strutting his stuff at La Pergola down in SW16.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: