Freeview - loss of signal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 13 August 2006 10.56am
Hello, has anyone else lost signal to their Freeview box in SE1? Mine has been like this since yesterday and I'm not sure why so was wondering if it's a general problem in this area. All the wires are plugged in correctly to my box but I am gettign a no signal message for all channels. Any advice woud be gratefully received.
Sunday 13 August 2006 12.19pm
Hi - no problems near Tower Bridge. The aerial lead that plugs into your Freeview box - plug that directly into your TV. If you can view TV as normal, the Freeview box is broken - if you can't see any TV channels, your aerial is suspect.
Sunday 13 August 2006 12.46pm
Hi BST, thanks for your post. I can view the TV albeit with very bad reception. It sounds like the Freeview box is the problem but, what I don't understand is that the menu is coming up on it fine - it just lists all the channels and states no signal next to each one.
Sunday 13 August 2006 12.59pm
If you can view the TV "with very bad reception" - it sounds to me like the aerial - or the cabling - is the problem. Freeview boxes tend to like a good strong signal - if its too weak, they simply don't work. Is the aerial a communial one? If so, are neighbours having probs? If the aerial is yours, have a look at it from the ground - is it still pointing in the direction it did last week? Sometimes, a few feathered friends can cause an aerial to move.
Sunday 13 August 2006 1.49pm
Crystal clear with a Sony freeview box in the Borough.
Have you tried a 'First Time Installation' using the menu button?
Might clear the system.
Sunday 13 August 2006 2.13pm
Hi BStB and Phoney, thank you for the advice.

We have a communal aerial and unfortunately everyone I know in the block seems to be out so I can't check with them. I checked the signal strength and quality from the main menu and strength is "average" whilst quality is "poor" which seems to be the problem. The communal aerial quality has always been bad in my flat which is why I got the freeview box but it has never done this before!

Phoney, I also have a Sony box but I can't seem to find the "First Time Installation" instruction, is it under a different heading in the menu?
Sunday 13 August 2006 3.25pm
Spooky - I have a Sony too!

To re-tune, press "Menu" then select "Tuning | Auto Tune". My guess is that it probably won't fix your problem as it sounds like the aerial.

I used to get reception qualities of "poor" that made viewing of some channels impossible, so I bought this amplifier from Maplin...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=943&criteria=aerial%20amplifier&doy=13m8

from their shop on Bishopgate...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/StoreLocator.aspx?cmd=viewstore&storeid=120&doy=13m8

since using the amp, I see no more of those "blocks" that corrupt the picture, and no more of the high pitched squeels.
Monday 14 August 2006 6.59am
I mixed up my Freeview box make with the (Sony) dvd player.
My freeview is a Bush, hence the 'First Time Istallation' in the Menu.
I have an indoor aerial and after experimenting with various positions
with the TV and aerial I now have 98% signal on all channels and it's
crystal clear at all times. When I attach the NTL cable the signal
can vary enormously so I now don't use it.
I would take Boss St Bloke advice above and get an amp or even just
get an indoor aerial at Argos which you can position as needed.
If it doesn't improve the signal you could always take it back.
Monday 14 August 2006 7.40am
If you need aerials, the new Maplin might be nearest, nearer than Argos anyway, officially opened today (by me!!!) just over Waterloo Bridge (corner of the bridge and the Strand, next to the Tesco Metro) - nice quick walk from this end of SE1 - and I got the neatest 10" Freeview TFT TV at better than half price.

I got to cut the red ribbon as I was the only saddo to get there early enough to be a queue of one).

Seemed like a good idea at the time :-(

Mark
Monday 14 August 2006 8.08am
Deepali et al - I am experiencing this exact same problem, whereabouts in SE1 are you? I am close to Waterloo, just behind the Old Vic.

Not sure when it happened but was at home yesterday when that storm hit (4ish?) and there was one particular explosion that sounded like more than just thunder, so we were wondering if this was maybe a lightening strike that's blown an aeriel or something...

The freeview was out after that, but not sure if maybe a problem beforehand as had not switched it on all day.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: