Small boat hire from Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 17 August 2006 10.16pm
Does anyone know if you can actually hire those small sail boats I always see around Tower Bridge, or are those private boats? I have searched a lot for boat hire but I only seem to get those huge boats that you would hire for a large party or something like that. I just want to hire a small boat (with a sail) for two people for the evening.
ADT
Friday 18 August 2006 9.29am
I think the small sail boats at Tower Bridge are often to do with HMS President, so you might not be able to use them unless you join the reserves!

There is a club of some sort in Wapping which may hire out boats.
Friday 18 August 2006 12.33pm
Try joining Westminster boating base. If you can prove you are competent (RYA level 2 or greater), and can handle the tides (they will want to take you out with them a few times to prove this. The Thames tides are very strong), then they might suit your needs. They also do courses which will give you your RYA level 2.

TBH I don't think you should really go sailing on the Thames without some sort of safety boat cover, just because the tides are so strong. When I learnt at Westminster, we could never sail for too long without getting washed down by the tide.

For inland sailing, Welsh Harp reservoir (nea rWembley) is a nice little place. Informal club, and they're much more likely to let you take boats out yourself after a few weeks, but obviously it's not the Thames.

HTH

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 21 August 2006 8.09am
Thanks for the advice. We're not tied to the Thames necessarily, so we will look a little further outside the city.
Monday 21 August 2006 10.39am
The RYA site will be a good place to start.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 21 August 2006 11.39am
what about the docklands watersport and sailing centre don't they do sailing in the old docks as opposed to the Thames itself?
Monday 21 August 2006 1.11pm
Where do the new lifeboat style boats that you can go on start from- they look great! Pricey?
Monday 21 August 2006 1.32pm
Is this what you mean. I know there are a few of them around. Look on the Tower Bridge website at the bridge lift times which gives you the names of the boats you can then search through Google for. Quite a few of them are moored in Saint Katherines.
Monday 21 August 2006 1.36pm
I assume Dee Dee means the place in Greenland Dock. There's another one further down, on the river itself, at Deptford.

It's around Watergate Street/Borthwick Wharf - by the big new flats development.
Monday 21 August 2006 1.38pm
ruudgull wrote:
Where do the new lifeboat style boats that you can go on start from- they look great! Pricey?
London RIB Voyages - leave from Waterloo Millennium Pier (under the London Eye). Cheaper tickets available via lastminute.com

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network