The Swan Pub Old Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 5 December 2001 2.56pm
Can anyone tell me any information about a pub called The Swan that used to be on the Old Kent Road
It is now a fly over - my great Uncle used to run it years ago
I'm research my family and would like any info or photos, stories etc about the pub
He would have worked their between 1920 and 1970
his name was Harry Mitchell
Friday 14 December 2001 8.25am
Ah the pub in the Old Kent Road, almost opposite to the old flea pit, The Globe picture house, where delousing the audience was a regular occurance!

Just along from the Swan was the Old Kent Picture house.
The Swan was the 'in' place in my day, (1960) the entertainment was superb. The standard of the singers far exceeds any of todays entertainers. ( No technical enhancement then)

I think it was a pub with a long bar , with the stage at the end. There was a short fairhaired man who was the regular singer, the lady who sang with him as popular rumour had it never sang again after he died in a crash.

I never saw any 'bouncers' there I think the guvnor would have been enough, he did not take any ****** he said!

The pub was crowded on most nights of the week, but Friday nights and Saturday nights were my favourite.

The girls would come in smelling of hairdressers and the lacquer....some in skirts puffed up by layers of petticoats, blouses tucked into incredibly tight belts. Teddy boys would lounge against the wall eyeing up the talent and trying to ensure that they had enough money for two light ales with lime in for their birds! it only took two shillings and sixpence at that time (12 and a half pence!)

The Mods with their mohair suits..... the barman coming up and telling someone to wash their mouth out with soap for swearing in front of his girl!... if I had more time I could elaborate a lot more but I have to work!

I'll pick my friends brains to see if they can help....

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: