Worst restaurants in Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Monday 21 August 2006 4.28pm
As an alternative view - my mother had an terrible meal, snotty rude staff, overpriced menu and vegetables NOT included in the meal price at ROAST this week.

FOOD average
SERVICE snotty
VALUE terrible

RECOMMENDATION take an ex boss, or somebody who does not eat food
Monday 21 August 2006 4.43pm
Don't agree at all with your verdict on Roast. We've been there twice & both times had a wonderful meal, service excellant. Yes it's not cheap but if you want inexpensive go to McDonalds.
Tuesday 22 August 2006 10.04am
I've not been myself, but the bad reviews do seem to outweigh the good.
Tuesday 22 August 2006 12.22pm
"Roast" already received a roasting here when the opened. There was a ver long thread on it . Too bad to hear that it hasn't progresed much from the first - and last - time we visitied. I have had better service in burger places than I experienced there.
Tuesday 22 August 2006 12.33pm
I have had a mixed experience the times I have eaten there. On the plus side:

(i) The food served in the main restaurant has been excellent.

(ii) The staff are very friendly and welcoming.

On the down side:

(i) Bar food - just say no. This has to be the worst bar food I have ever eaten. Truly appalling.

(ii) Inexperienced staff. You may end up sending back the wrong dish or waiting a litle for your food. Some people hate this. I personally don't mind.

So, on balance I would recommend Roast for a nice meal, or a drink in their bar with the nice view over the market. But for Heaven's sake, just do not order any bar food - you will regret it!

Would you like to go with me?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Tuesday 22 August 2006 1.29pm
I've eaten at Roast a few times with no drama, or gripes. Since the title of this thread is Worst Restaurants, I though I would add the second contender...

Fish! warrants a mention for bad service, overpriced poor quality food, terrible lighting, foul mouthed chef (in an open kitchen), and general disregard for the customer.

I have been there 3 times (fool) and each time have been thoroughly disappointed. I have had
to contend with open hostility on the phone when making the booking, disinterest by the hair twirling receptionist at the door, arm flapping for the chatting waiter's attention, and that's all before the food arrives.

When it does, expect a smorgasbord of: Over cooked calamari. Fish that is flavourless and appears to have either been frozen and or stored in a fridge for a few days. Side vegetables that are grey and brown at the edges swimming in an unpleasant pool of butter and herbs. The desserts are embarrassing and microwaved to within an inch of their sorry existences.

Also we noticed on a long lunch on the terrace members of staff sitting down for a bottle of wine and drinks then getting up to serve again.

Tuesday 22 August 2006 1.37pm
I returned to Roast last Thursday in the hope that they had learned from their 'rough' start. One word. Appalling.

As we sat down, the wine list was thrust under our noses, and a 45 bottle of wine was recommended - even before we had decided whether to have meat or fish, or what style we liked. Asked for Chilled Watercress Soup and hot tomato soup appeared with no apology. When challenged they explained that the watercress soup had finished but had not thought to tell us.

Service was poor, the food distincly average and the bill came to over 65 each. I, and my fellow diners felt that they had been, truly, robbed.

Avoid. There are SO many better places to go which offer far superior food at more reasonable prices. One compliment - it looks nice.
Tuesday 22 August 2006 2.34pm
I agree with Jimbo Lou about Fish. We went there last week at the request of our friends -same bad food, the place is so noisy that you can't hear the conversation, all the waiters are blind as they refuse to catch your eye -that is when they're not smoking outside [yes believe me] or chatting on their mobiles also outside of the main dining area.Shame, as the location is wonderful & there's not much competition in the fish restaurant stakes around here.
Tuesday 22 August 2006 5.43pm
Has anyone tried the Iranian restaurant in the basement under the Chinese restaurant "the Bridge", just across South bank University on Borough Road? Although I cycle past it everyday, I had never noticed it until I received a flyer through the door. We decided to give it a go for a takeaway. I was very disappointed with the very unfriendly service. The food was so disgusting it ended up in the bin... Have I just been unlucky? Has anyone else been there?
Wednesday 23 August 2006 8.18am
You were unlucky, Iran Ma's takeaways to be fair are not great, but the restaurant did us proud when we were there. In respect of value you are talking about one of the cheapest restaurants in London, you can get a 3-4 course meal with large portions for under a tenner a head. The restaurant is also respectably full of Persians.

Fish I agree is a tourist restaurant that never fails to disappoint. Harry Ramsdens without the warmth.

Roast, always had a good experience, although it isn't cheap and the service could be better. Food was great though.

Bermondsey Kitchen has been disappointing lately. Used to be consistently good and good value. In the last year though the chef seems to have got into the habit of drowning everything in oil.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: