Bag theft in Bermondsey Street pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 21 August 2006 6.02pm
Has anyone heard of bag thieves operating in the Bermondsey street area?

I had my bag stolen from the Woolpack last Thursday afternoon, while having lunch in the main room of the pub. Needless to say, I didn't see how it happened, but it was sitting in the chair next to me at the time. No one in my group or any of the staff noticed anything suspicious.

The bar manager on duty said he only knew of this happening once, at night. Unfortunately, the staff weren't that helpful and didn't help us to look for the bag.

If this is a problem, then the Woolpack and other pubs in the area need to have signs up warning customers about the bag thieves - I told this to the manager, but received no assurance that this would be done.
Monday 21 August 2006 9.08pm
Steph - has the pub got CCTV camera? or are there any CCTV cameras in the street outside? do report it to the police and get a crime number. I found a ladies handbag on Queen Elizabeth street and managed to contact the lady from her work ID card. The only thing missing was cash - everything else was there.
Monday 21 August 2006 9.28pm
Hi Steph, sorry to hear about your bag. I was in the Woolpack on my birthday (June)with a group of friends and suddenly spotted a woman sliding my friend's handbag under her coat. When I stood up and confronted her (at the top of my voice!) she sort of threw the bag at me. They then starting slapping each other, had an 'argument' and stormed out. (Apparently this is classic distraction technique.) I followed them out with two members of staff and they disappeared down the alleyway round the back of the Fashion & Textile museum.
They looked totally drug-ravaged and the staff said they had never seen them before. It would seem that perhaps they or their friends are back again?
Tuesday 22 August 2006 5.36am
It's a sorry state of affairs but you can't blame the pub for not helping you look for your bag. If you're a lady and you're in London, you're gonna get your back nicked if you leave it on a chair in a pub.

The whole of London's Heroin and Crack addiction is funded via two means - shop-lifting and bag theft. If an addict has a 100 a day habit what else are they going to do?

I worked in a restuarant in the west end once and there were about 2 bag thefts a night.

Simple answer - look after your bag or don't take one. My wife just takes a wallet to the pub if we go out, you don't really need all that cr*p you carry in your handbags anyway girls!
Tuesday 22 August 2006 6.47am
C**p in our handbags? just looked in mine and was about to dispute your comment then found:

lipstick, tissues,staff pass,unopened bills, council tax reminder, broken comb, bottle opener, dog chew, screwdriver set for repairing glasses, set of allen keys, photos etc.... your right JGarcia!

If I am going out I always put my bag strag around the leg of the chair if possible, or sling it over me shoulder like a school satchel...
Anonymous User
Tuesday 22 August 2006 8.29am
JGarcia wrote:
The whole of London's Heroin and Crack addiction is funded via two means - shop-lifting and bag theft. If an addict has a 100 a day habit what else are they going to do?

House breaking, prostitution, auto theft, dealing? To name a few.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: