Where is London?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 22 August 2006 3.33pm
So is London in the county of Greater London or in Middlesex - I always assume the former, but have seen the latter used a couple of times recently ... where are we!!!???
Anonymous User
Tuesday 22 August 2006 3.57pm
Part of Middlesex are in London but not the other way around.

I always thought we didn't need a county.
Tuesday 22 August 2006 4.00pm
i always just say 'London' though not sure how accurate and correct it is...
Anonymous User
Tuesday 22 August 2006 4.09pm
Tuesday 22 August 2006 4.42pm
Anyone using "London, Middlesex" in an address would seem to be being perverse.

However, there are bits of outer Greater London which remained in the former "postal county" of Middlesex for some years after the historic county of Middlesex ceased to be. I think there was a campaign by refuseniks who refused to use Uxbridge postcodes when the Post Office finally abandoned Middlesex as a postal address:

Wikipedia article on Middlesex wrote:
The former postal county consisted of two unconnected areas and comprised the following post towns:
ASHFORD, BRENTFORD, EDGWARE, ENFIELD, FELTHAM, GREENFORD, HAMPTON, HARROW, HAYES, HOUNSLOW, ISLEWORTH, NORTHOLT, NORTHWOOD, PINNER, RUISLIP, SHEPPERTON, SOUTHALL, STAINES, STANMORE, SUNBURY-ON-THAMES, TEDDINGTON, TWICKENHAM, UXBRIDGE, WEMBLEY, WEST DRAYTON
Tuesday 22 August 2006 5.25pm
The wikipedia link above gives a good explanation, though taken in the strictest terms 'London' is actually one of the smallest cities in the country with less than 9,000 people resident. The rest of us all live in the City of Westminster or one of the Boroughs.

Obviously this is a bit of a technicality but not all the 7.7 million who live in what is Greater London agree with that definition either - hence some of those in what used to be Middlesex prefer that address. Ditto for places like Kingston or Barking where many of the locals use the old Surrey or Essex address.
Tuesday 22 August 2006 6.31pm
When you fill in those email forms you often have to give a county and I do put Greater London ... thanks for wikipedia link, I had seen it and still wondered whether the good people of SE1 could enlighten me further!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: