Integrated washer dryers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 22 August 2006 10.57pm
OK, I need to buy a new integrated washer dryer, and I really don't fancy schlepping round all the shops while my dirty laundry piles up.

So, any recommendations for makes/ models? And where's the best place to buy locally? Curry's? Comet? Or should I just go to John Lewis? And if I do go to John Lewis, would I be better off going to Oxford Street, or does the Canary Wharf one sell washer dryers? Or are there any really good online stores you'd recommend for this sort of thing?

Personally, I'm not so bothered about having a washer dryer as I hardly ever use the dryer function, but as I live in a tiddley flat with no outside space that I want to rent out next year, I thought it would be worth replacing like with like. But am I mistaken in the assumption that having a washer dryer will make the flat more appealing, or would it be as acceptable to potential tenants to just have a washing machine?

Whatever I get I definitely want an integrated version - I know they cost more, but I prefer the way my kitchen looks with the integrated appliances.

I wish someone would just wave a wand and sort this out for me.
Tuesday 22 August 2006 11.43pm
For what its worth our experience so far with these "integrated" machines is that they sucked - or perhaps better put, they didn't suck the water out!

Both took ages compated to a normal dryer and one left them with vague kerosine-ish smell.

These were in supposedly high end rental flats. The cuurent machine is an Indesit brand. I'd guess that to buy a decent one, you need to avoid low-end brands and the tempation to skimp on such a purchase.

If you're considering Waitrose best call them direct and understand their ranging
http://www.waitrose.com/about/findyourlocalwaitrose.asp
Wednesday 23 August 2006 5.26am
I skimped and got a Fagor one (Spanish brand).

It is not very good. Makes clothes very hot and damp but takes hours to dry.
My mother swears by hotpoint, and i would definitely go with them next time.
Wednesday 23 August 2006 6.53am
Hi,

I got an integrated washer dryer about 18 months ago after our old washing machine packed up. Our decision was largely based on space. Whilst a lot of research determined that most reviews took the approach that an integrated machine should only be considered if really absolutely necessary, we felt that for the amount that we would actually use the dryer function this was really the only option given space. The machine (Bosch) has worked well though none of the integrated machines are designed to get your washing totally dry...there is always a residual dampness, so don't expect to transfer washing straight from the machine back to your wardrobe/cupboard.

Personally I have always bought German manufactured white goods and always had exceptional performance from them, so that's what I'd recommend. John Lewis is normally the best place to buy from in terms of the high street. Not only are they never knowingly undersold, they sometimes offer free extended warranty cover on some products and they are normally veyr helpful with delivery and installation.

If you go for the cheaper internet-purchase route be very careful to read the small print on delivery. Many online white goods retailers define delivery as to the nearest door to the street of your house/apartment block and will simply leave it there and expect you to do the rest or charge alot to take it up to your flat.

Good luck
Wednesday 23 August 2006 7.14am
my brother had integrated machine - had to stop the machine after the wash and take out half the clothes to dry ones left in machine...cant you get a stackable one?
Wednesday 23 August 2006 8.08am
i had an intergrated one and it did not dry the clothes at all well and i would not recommend them-mine was an Ariston i think
Anonymous User
Wednesday 23 August 2006 8.39am
Definitely go to John Lewis.

I just had a new dishwasher and washung machine from them (not integrated as you know but they do do them) and I was very immpressed with the service.

Two incredibly pleasant chaps turned up at 7.30am took out the old machines and plumbed in the new then took the old machines away with them. They were gone by 10 past 8.
Wednesday 23 August 2006 8.54am
If you can fit in a separate washer & dryer, I would. From a tenant's point of view, providing a washer but no means of drying clothes, besides draping them over an airer, wouldn't be particularly convenient, particularly in the winter. Furthermore, you run the risk that the tenant might buy a dryer, but not ensure it's correctly vented, which can lead to condensation & damp. Could you stack them, or buy a compact model?
Wednesday 23 August 2006 8.54am
We've just replaced a washer-dryer with a washing machine, the washer dryer wasn't terribly good at washing or drying and I had to fish out the stuff that wasn't suitable for the dryer each time, plus the electrical/environmental cost. I think if I was going to rent a small flat I might think 'mm washer dryer, that's nice" but I doubt it would be a deciding factor.

As far as brands go, we got a bosch as we know a few people who swear by them for reliability and we got it from John Lewis, who were actualy cheaper than all the internet places we found, but you can compare prices on pricerunner or kelkoo.
Wednesday 23 August 2006 8.55am
My washer dryer is on its last legs but Alec at Speedy Repairs got it going again. If it dies, he recommends a Bosch, but I don't know which model. Worth contacting him as he can get you a good deal. 020 8692 7959.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: