Information about Bankside - safety

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 24 August 2006 4.17pm
Hi there could anyone tell me more in depth information about Bankside.

Specifically like what it is like at night times around the globe theatre and the the tate regarding 'yobs' and crime?
Is it safe to walk from say southwark tube station to accommodation on the Bankside at night?

Thanks
Thursday 24 August 2006 4.37pm
Greg - I happily walk around the area at all times of night and day. A few of the back streets might be best avoided in the dead of night, but that is pretty standard advice for a city. Incidents do happen of course, but overall with some comon sense it is a safe area. You are right in the heart of the city, a stone's throw from the riverside so even at night there are often people around.

When you refer to 'accommodation on the Bankside' are you maybe talking about the LSE student halls of residence just behind the Tate? It's a great location if so, you could not be better placed really in terms of what you have on your doorstep and the ease with which you can get from there to all other points on the London compass.
Thursday 24 August 2006 11.00pm
I am referring to such accommodation hehe, i didn't want to say but oh well!

I am new to london so walking back from pubs/clubs may be a bit risky i thought. But you have given me a nice sense of security. Yea of course common sense, i go into nottingham a lot (gun capital of the UK) so i know a little.

Around that accommodation are there a lot of those streets to be avoiced? Thanks for ur help
Thursday 24 August 2006 11.23pm
I lived in "Bankside" (LSE) before all the development (Globe, Tate etc) and then 2 years later when it was a lot bussier. I never had or saw any trouble. It's great to walk to LSE (only 15/20 mins) and a really safe place to be. The only drawbacks are there are no proper grocery shops nearby, and no real places to get cheep food, so you are left with the Bankside canteen which can get a bit much.
Thursday 24 August 2006 11.44pm
simply_greg wrote:
Around that accommodation are there a lot of those streets to be avoiced? Thanks for ur help

ur wlcme.

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Anonymous User
Friday 25 August 2006 1.45am
If you are a student, surely you won't be frequenting pubs & clubs - you'll be at your desk studying, won't you?
Friday 25 August 2006 8.48am
The route from Southwark tube station to LSE Halls is well lit and signposted (obviously, for the tourists) - this route, barring any random problem, is perfectly safe. However as you walk it you will see plenty of small alleys, deadends, access roads for yards and railway arches. While I wouldn't particularly walk down any of these (there is no need to), truth is they always look too deserted for you to actually come to much harm.

Then there are a few closed-off estates within the general area, again I would personally wouldn't be too worried about walking through, but while you get your bearings it might be something to be aware of.

Seriously though - don't stress it! All the main routes you will realistically need are absolutely fine!
Friday 25 August 2006 9.18am
If your such a big chickem you can get the RV1 from Waterloo.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: