"Homo Homemakers" church fete!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Friday 25 August 2006 2.40pm
This event, to be held at St Johns Waterloo on Sat 30 September is very intriguing and potentially fantastic. It's a church fete where "gay men and women can show off their skill as cooks, gardeners, craftspeople and collectors." The organisers' tongues are in their cheeks and they say they are "putting out a call for stallholders to display their wares, and inviting the public to join us and sample the goods, swap tips and recipes, and discuss our complex relationship with gender role-models."

More details at http://www.homoculture.org/events/event-fayre.html

I am offering to re-do my Tupperware stall from the Merrick Square Fete!
Tuesday 29 August 2006 1.19pm
As one of the organisers, I'd like to thank Andrew for the plug and just say that if anyone would like to get involved - either as a stallholder, or contributing something to the bring & buy etc - then drop us a line at info@homoculture.org.

There is a serious point to the event, besides just having a lot of fun, meeting people and eating cakes. We're trying to explore other aspects of LGBT identities, the non-sexual areas of nurturing, homemaking, our relationship to gender stereotypes etc.

You'll find full details on this and the rest of our autumn/winter season at www.homoculture.org.

Thanks!
Tuesday 29 August 2006 2.36pm
"the non-sexual areas of nurturing"?

I don't understand what this means. What would be the sexual areas of nurturing? Can anyone help me out please?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 29 August 2006 2.57pm
My interpretation of the sentence was that it was meant like this:

"We're trying to explore other aspects of LGBT identities: non-sexual areas including nurturing, homemaking, our relationship to gender stereotypes etc."

I think the issue is that many non-LGBT people assume that all there is to such relationships is sex, and this function is aiming to explore other aspects of LGBT relationships.

I'm not LBGT myself and wasn't the post writer so could be wrong, however...
Tuesday 29 August 2006 3.03pm
It is a phrase I hadn't heard before - I assume it means friends without fancying someone, or parenting without the Greek Tragedy.

This event sounds fun - not so sure about the complex discussion around gender role-models, but I will deffo pop along for the cake eating :o)

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Tuesday 29 August 2006 3.35pm
<sigh> Read the whole sentence: "nurturing" is the first of a list of "non-sexual areas" of life. He just means gay folk are often identified (even by themselves) in relation to sexual matters, and it can get a bit wearing. In a way, your accidental misreading sort of proves it.

Oh, and yes you are dead right: the theory will be no more heavy-handed than the sponge cakes.
Tuesday 29 August 2006 3.48pm
"<sigh> Andrew H", but I DID read the whole sentence. It's there in Rupert's post above (and he's apparently organising it, so I thought it was OK to take him at his word. Apparently not. Thanks for being so needlessly sarcastic nonetheless.)

Gareth, redbus, I think I see what you mean.

Tuesday 29 August 2006 3.54pm
Hmmm. You could disguise the theory by printing interesting and thought provoking phrases on the inside of the cake wrapping. That way people could digest the theory in bite sized chunks along with their (hopefully yummy) cakes. (oh, I am certainly Captain Pun today :o))

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Tuesday 29 August 2006 4.06pm
Sorry Ivanhoe. I assumed your post was being a bit mischievous about Rupert's grammar, rather than genuinely thinking he was referring to "the non-sexual areas of nurturing" as something in itself, which makes no sense. So I replied in the same sarcastic spirit.

I am boring myself now, but surely Gareth was right first time, and Rupert means "the non-sexual areas of life, like nurturing, homemaking, our relationship to gender stereotypes etc."

Let's all have a nice cake.
Tuesday 29 August 2006 4.08pm
Fair enough. You must understand that I'm genuinely confused by quite a few things.

But not cake. I understand cake quite well, and we love each other.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: