Street Drinkers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 30 August 2006 12.41pm
Is it me or has there been a proliferation of street drinkers in the last few months?

The corner of Blackfriars Rd. and Webber St. has always been a popular spot for them (no idea why) but lately, there appears to be a new wave - mainly youngish females. There seem to be a hardcore of three but often more. They stand out purely because they are not your usual street drunks - homeless chaps, etc.

I find this alarming; not in a fearful way but what it means in terms of urban society generally. They don't appear to be threatening but are quite loud. Where do they come from and what is it that brings them to this state of affairs?

Has anyone else noticed this around the borough?
Wednesday 30 August 2006 1.03pm
I seem to have noticed the same thing around Tower Bridge Road shopping area South of Bermondsey Square. Cider seems to be the drink of choice around here. Not too disruptive, though bored with dodging vomit on way to bus stop..................
Wednesday 30 August 2006 1.40pm
Yes, I noticed them too on my way home every evening. Although they appear clean and normally dressed, they actually look at you in quite a menacing way. Last week, one of them was actually sleeping right at the corner. At first, I thought she had fainted, but no, she was just plain drunk. Last night, one was standing outside the convenience store at the corner, downing a beer. I feel they might be concentrating around the places that sells them alcohol.
Wednesday 30 August 2006 2.22pm
"Clean and normally dressed" - my point exactly! Where on earth have they come from? I know there is a Sally Army hostel a bit further down Blackfriars Rd but they just don't seem the type to have come from there.

I also know that the Laughing Gravy have been having a few problems with them and they don't need any more problems at the moment.

The other thing is that they seem to have driven off the normal old drunks who were always around. They were never a problem unless you minded being chatted up in the most unintelligible fashion!
Wednesday 30 August 2006 3.44pm
Better dressed street drinkers is just one of the signs of SE1 gentrification.

It's only a matter time before they turn up with hampers and Pimms (although, of course, as the year pushes on into Autumn, they will be changing from Pimms No. 1 to something more warming. Perhaps a brandy-based confection. Something to fill the gap between Summer and the Snowball season).

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 30 August 2006 3.53pm
but Ivanhoe, according to Jerry they're already drinking Cider....
Wednesday 30 August 2006 5.03pm
Good point Jane. Maybe a dry strong vintage cider to get you through Autumn, then moving onto mulled cider cocktails would be more appropriate for the higher end SE1 street drinker.

Wednesday 30 August 2006 5.29pm
Ok, I'll suggest it to them this evening on my way past. Should I point them in the direction of the cider-makers on here? ;)
Monday 4 September 2006 6.49pm
The Church of Cider is a broad church, and all are welcome.

Wednesday 6 September 2006 11.02am
Drink abuse on the streets of Southwark is a growing problem.

It's the ones with a can of lager in one hand and a bottle of
Methadone in the other that I am concerned about, and there are plenty of them.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: