Elephant kids/bikes on pavements

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 5 September 2006 4.38pm
My husband and I just had an exchange in the street outside our flat by some 14/15yr old girl and her little brother who can't have been older than 8. She was riding a bike with him on the handlebars on the pavement and clipped the back of my foot as my husband pulled me out of their way. He then told them to watch out at which girl stopped and gave us loads of attitude. Mr Sarahmc did then, unfortunately shout something quite rude at them which only inflamed the situation- culminating in the small boy shouting 'foreigner' at us (we are, and look, about as English as you can get although that's not really the point. Racism in any form is nasty). I can only guess that they have never heard proper English spoken before. I have to admit my parting shot was 'Chav' because I was so mad at being drawn into a slanging match in the street with a bunch of kids, who, having firstly clipped my foot with their bike didnt even apologise.
I'm just letting off steam.
I thought bikes weren't allowed on pavements?
Tuesday 5 September 2006 5.29pm
they're not - officially, but kids generally get away with all sorts of stuff... (even thought they shouldn't) - i blame the parents.
Monday 11 September 2006 4.01pm
The parents?were they on bikes as well?
why are we always looking to blame someone else for our own shortcomings?
young,old,parents,children,,,,,,we all need to accept responsibility for our own actions,not blame someone else.........
I myself am a cyclist,but i am shocked and amazed that hardly anyone else stops at a red light or indeed does cycle on the pavement.....but then again i am still shocked and amazed that very few people realise that litter bins are for rubbish.........
Monday 11 September 2006 4.20pm
pec 1960, you are me and I claim my 5 ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 11 September 2006 4.28pm
Not another one!
Monday 11 September 2006 4.41pm
pec - I think we're talking on crossed terms here....

i'm not looking to blame someone else - obviously it's the kids that are riding on the pavements, but my comment was slightly tongue in cheek, in that my usual comment when kids misbehave is 'i blame the parents' because it's the parents who teach kids manners, and how to behave, and what they should and shouldn't do.
Tuesday 12 September 2006 6.06am
I take on board your comments,but in general dont you think/feel that "someone else" is always to blame?the parents,the teachers,the government,asylum seekers,society etc etc etc.
Its all just a cop out realy because why we are busy blaming everyone else we are letting the real culprits(ourselves)get away scot free.....
surely if children are taught that if they do something wrong or misbehave and someone else gets blamed for it, then somehow its acceptable?
The current breakdown in society is not down to individual groups of people,but more to do with none(most) of us not taking responsibility for our own actions.
Tuesday 12 September 2006 6.08am
5?????
I am not sure if this paltry sum is a reflection on you or me?
Tuesday 12 September 2006 6.32am
Altogether theissue of bikes on the pavement is one that seems to be some sort of accepted norm, which it is NOT. More than once I've been shocked out of my wits by a cyclist coming up alongside - and I always yell "The pavement is for pedestrians!" while getting, as SarahMc says, a load of attitude or two fingers. But where are the police in this? I've never seen anyone stopped - any more than as yet I have to see someone stopped for talking on the phone in the car. It's bloody dangerous to ride a bike on the pavement and it should be picked up on CCTV and fined like any other dangerous habit.
Tuesday 12 September 2006 8.50am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
But where are the police in this? I've never seen anyone stopped....It's bloody dangerous to ride a bike on the pavement and it should be picked up on CCTV and fined like any other dangerous habit.

Hopefully, you're about to see them stopped, albeit on a selective basis. TFL's 'Share The Road' campaign kicks off later in the month, with the police cracking down on illegal or dangerous behaviour by all road users, including but limited to cyclists. I understand Tooley Street gets the treatment on 20th September.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: