Proposal for new building on childrens play area and park off St Georges Rd

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 6 September 2006 4.54pm
i am a resident on St Georges Road (corner of Gaywood Street) and was recently horrified at the proposal from the council to build a large appartment block on one of our last remaining green/recreational areas of SE1 which is now a basketball picth and park and is regularly used by children to play basket ball and football. your support and thoughts appreciated.

s
Thursday 7 September 2006 7.17am
You are KIDDING. Things are really getting out of hand. I'm shocked.
Thursday 7 September 2006 9.18am
There is some discussion of this matter in this thread:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/55542

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 7 September 2006 7.59pm
The football & basketball pitches, huge playground and wide open space of the Imperial War Museum are hardly far away, now are they?

Loafer
Thursday 14 September 2006 10.14pm
Yes Loafer, I agree there is enough space to erect a number of tower blocks at the IWM especially if you include the park. It is not used as much as the playground on St Georges Road and therefore should be made available for development instead.
Friday 15 September 2006 6.58pm
Troll.
Saturday 16 September 2006 6.18pm
I am a resident in this area for many years and have seen this area grow. It functions well now because it is a small populated area. More residents would effect this, the parking facilities for instance are already stretched here. Although this is not my main concern it is a concern and always causes conflict. Children always congregate where they live and this is happening here. The area does not needed to be expanded it needs to be improved

Southwark council have had their eye on this plot for some time and it is linked to the demolition of the Heygate. Although everyones knows new homes have to built to house the tenants from Heygate - not at the expense of a nice area. There is more at issue here then send the children to play at the IPM green space.
Also it would have been so nice if the council would have been honest about this at the tenants meeting (when there was a tenants assoc) we were advised by the local neighborhood office that the area as the pit was to be developed for children.

I stopped some people who were taking measurements and were informed last year that a new building was to be erected and it was to late to opppose and plans were in order, we had as tenants received no notice of this. These people were from the univerisity and had been asked by the planing department if they would like to take part in the project to aid in their study! How nice for them and then I received a lecture on how more homes were needed in this area,,,all this from an out of town student!....and me a mere tenant of 30 years plus what would I know
Monday 18 September 2006 3.14pm
Hi Jenny

I am in agreement and have lived in the area for over 20 years.

We received our first notification of this development on Aug 02 2006 and are awaiting consultation which will be arranged in 'the coming months'.

This is a wonderful community and we dont feel that it is a suitable place for this development. We have a number of objections to this proposal.

These will be available soon on a website which we are creating.

regds
Saturday 23 September 2006 12.21am
Hi Le Roi

I am really interested in the website that is being created

This is indeed a wonderful community and should be kept this way.

It is a sad fact the way the council have acted.
I telephoned the Elephant Regeneration Planning dept twice - gave details of what was I found out from the students before August 06 and nobody got back to me - I was also informed at this time that residents had been notified and that new play areas were to provided in this area.

Southwark council have not been upfront with this at all

Please keep posted as to the consultation in coming months

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: