Parking enforcement

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 30 April 2003 3.26pm
Apols for the longish post but I have just spent a very interesting two hours on a walkabout as part of the Southwark Streetleader programme.

The programme is designed to make residents more aware of what should and shouldn't be happening on the streets of Southwark and empower them to do something about it, however I'll jump straight to the interesting part of today's walkabout (although feel free to email me if you want more details about the programme.)

We were challenging a local business over rubbish dumped outside their premises when I noticed that all their cars parked outside were taking up the full length of the resident parking bays, but they did not have permits. A local resident told me that the traffic wardens ignore them, and suggested that perhaps they had some 'agreement' with them.

As we left the street we (including 3 members of the council) noticed two traffic wardens entering the street, so we waited at the corner and watched.

To my total disbelief the wardens hovered around the area by the cars, seemingly in conversation with each other, and then moved on without checking any of the cars or issuing any tickets.

I can only assume the local resident is right and some pockets are being lined with money somewhere. The council workers with us were equally 'amused' and have at least suggested an action to get the bay suspended.

Has anyone else seen such a 'blind eye' being turned to illegal parking?
Wednesday 30 April 2003 3.33pm
Yes....

On Tower Bridge Road - the bus stop makes an excellent parking place that is very convenient for the take away chicken shop and convenience store.

The one on the other side of the road is ideal for parking when returning videos.

The main one appears to be outside the shops on New Kent Road - the space seems to be used by a private hire company operating out of a barbers....
Wednesday 30 April 2003 3.42pm
Dave - yes but this is permanent parking, the same cars with the company name written all over them, every day, the same place.

By the way, there was talk-on-the-walk about the disruption re TJF and there seems to be genuine concern on the part of the council too.
Wednesday 30 April 2003 3.49pm
St John's Churchyard (Fair Street/Tower Bridge Road) - used as a private car park by local residents (and short term parking for those who want to avoid the congestion charge) as well as a resting place for vehicles which have past their tax-by date. Wardens can't do anything about them and the council isn't interested as I think the 'church' owns the land.
Wednesday 30 April 2003 3.50pm
Very interested re the rest of your walk as well. Should we all sign up to one of these (Southwark residents at least)? How did you find out about it? Was it useful - otherwise than as above?

Agog with excitement...
Wednesday 30 April 2003 3.52pm
See

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/templates/news/viewNews.cfm/press%AC2003030300.htm%ACarchive

for the press release on the scheme

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 30 April 2003 3.56pm
Yup that's the scheme. Today was the first walk so it was a chance to get to know what can and can't realistically be achieved. We were issued with digital camera's and logged such things as graffiti, dumped rubbish bags, full recycling bins, anything really. The proof will be in the eating as they say.
Wednesday 30 April 2003 4.09pm
Tony,

Thanks for the info on TJF

I have a digital camera where can I email pictures of problems within Southwark?

Cheers

Dave
Wednesday 30 April 2003 6.31pm
Looks superb. Not sure how much one would wish to roll up ones sleeves to deal with 'dog poo'...

From the website: 'The Street Leaders project is designed to get local people rolling up their sleeves and working with council enforcement officers to 'trouble shoot' environmental problems in the borough - such as litter, graffitti, fly-tipping and dog poo.'
Wednesday 30 April 2003 8.06pm
Yup, we took pictures of dog-doo!

We were also asked to rate 'our' area for various things such as street cleanliness, fly-tipping & aggressive behaviour. Funnily it was the latter that scored the highest rating, but that's another story.

Dave, I'll get an email address for you.

Post edited (30 Apr 03 21:10)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: