Guy's Hospital - new cladding

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 8 September 2006 4.24pm
I know this will raise all sorts of arguments regarding the spending of NHS money ... but I do like the new cladding that's been going up today at Guys on Great Maze Pond ...
Friday 8 September 2006 6.35pm
It is part of a project for Guy's approaches designed by funky sometime youthful prodigy architect Thomas Heatherwick.

http://www.pooloflondon.co.uk/press/index.php/00054.html

I'm sure that the team at Pool of London Partnership would want to let you know that they are stumping up most of the money rather than the NHS.
Friday 8 September 2006 11.32pm
Shame they can't reclad the entire building. It must be the ugliest highrise in London.
Sunday 10 September 2006 6.29am
Lang Rabbie wrote:
I'm sure that the team at Pool of London Partnership would want to let you know that they are stumping up most of the money rather than the NHS.

That's good to know as when I was in the little charity shop opposite, I happened to mention how the view would be improved for the lady working in there ... cue tirade about public money being spent ...

As a public information exercise, perhaps a board or two should be displayed with this sort of information on it as the public, on the whole, might easily jump to conclusions about it being NHS cash being used

I'd heard that Heatherwick had designed it; I love their stuff!
Sunday 10 September 2006 9.53am
Julie wrote:
That's good to know as when I was in the little charity shop opposite, I happened to mention how the view would be improved for the lady working in there ... cue tirade about public money being spent ...
As a public information exercise, perhaps a board or two should be displayed with this sort of information on it as the public, on the whole, might easily jump to conclusions about it being NHS cash being used

The Friends of Guy's were originally supposed to be contributing 75,000 to the overall project to brighten up the entrance to the hospital for visitors. (I think they get a new shop to replace the "pre-fab" as part of the deal).

You would have thought the charity might have told its volunteers something about what is happening!
Monday 11 September 2006 12.13pm
wjfox2004 wrote:
Shame they can't reclad the entire building. It must be the ugliest highrise in London.

It's going to look even worse once the Shard is built.
Wednesday 13 September 2006 11.13pm
My 2-year-old pointed at it the other day and said: "Ooh, making big teddies".
Thursday 14 September 2006 12.04am
its case of damned if you do, damned if you dont. People complain that the building is ugly - no argument there, its is a 60's or 70's high rise - but then if they are trying to do something why knock them. It cost money to do something about it.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: