STACKS AND STACKS of unwanted Books

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 12 September 2006 4.05pm
Hi there ,

I used to live with a book seller and he has since moved out but his books have remained here in the ground floor of our house.

Now ownerless and taking up space in my home, we are looking for a potential new owner instead of recycling the lot of them.
we don't mind if your a charity,school,library, an avid reader or maybe you just need some books to keep your sofa or table at a line closer to horizontal.

As he was a very proud of his books they have been kept in good condition.

He does know that we are trying to get rid of them and he's fine about it as he took his most treasured items up north when he moved out.

I think I took some pictures of all the books so will try and add a link tomorrow, but if anyone is interested in the whole lot please get in touch. id say the majority of the books were fiction (some non fiction) from the Mid 90s to upto a few years ago.

anyway please let me know thanks
Tuesday 12 September 2006 5.00pm
There is a car boot sale at the old Lilian Baylis school on Saturday. (16 September 8.00am until 2.00pm plot 5, and table 1.)

If you dont find another home, I can probably store, and then bring them out at the next round of Lambeth Parish Fetes, Kenningto Assn Fairs etc.

Or...there is a really good charity shop in Churton St, Pimlico which raises funds for AIDS charities both here and in Africa (I forget its name) which always has first rate book donations, and is well known as a good place to pick up good second hand books. I am sure they would be delighted to take them.
Tuesday 12 September 2006 10.14pm
Are you Tristan of Trinity Church Square? I believe the residents association there run a bookstall for fundraising. Sure we can find you some contacts if you dont have them.
Wednesday 13 September 2006 9.40am
Hi Tristan

Following on from Sarah's note, the Kennington Association is organising the Boot Sale at the old Lilian Baylis school in Lollard Street

this Saturday and I'm about to send out a note to let people know that a couple of volunteers have agreed to run a book stall to raise funds for local good causes so if you could get your books to the boot sale for around 7.30am preferably, we'll shift what we can then the leftovers will go to the newly-opened African Child Association charity shop on Lambeth Walk, so they will all go to good causes. Any questions, give me a call on 020 7793 0268.

Very many thanks
Best wishs
Wednesday 13 September 2006 10.30am
I have sent a PM. I would be happy to pick up one evening, and might be persuaded to deliver at 7.30 am!

It is a good cause. The Kennington Association are funding a range of community sports activities at the old Lilian Baylis School which is on the difficult Ethelreds Estate. (Things like Latin American Volleyball, childrens tennis, Tai Chi and, amazingly popular, table tennis.)

Monday 18 September 2006 11.33am

Just about every classy novel published within the last five years.

We sold about 150 of them at the Kennington Association car boot sale, selected the more popular to store for the Kennington Christmas Bazaar and then passed the rest onto the Cruisaid Charity Shop in Churton St in Pimlico (opposite Chimes the cider bar.) which raises money for people with HIV in England and Africa

They usually have a brilliant set of books and is frequented by real book brousers, so they can shift classy stock. (They even have an armchair where you can sit and read - all they need is coffee and you would have a charity version of Borders.) They said it was their best on-off donation ever.

Incidently they said they are gaining a reputation for selling good vinyl, particularly classical, and also happy to take videos or DVDs as well as the usual Charity Shop stuff.

If anyone else has stuff you want to get rid of, I would happily collect and pass on to Kennington Association or Crusaid, depending on who is likely to be able to sell it more easily.

And thanks Tristan. The size of the donation was slightly overwhelming, but it was really appreciated.

Monday 18 September 2006 1.55pm
Thanks so much for picking up the books , we hope you managed to raise lots of money from them. and now my front room has much more space that we can now use it properly again,

Thanks again Sarah
Tuesday 19 September 2006 11.13am
So if they have a late night opening at Crusaid, we could go shopping for books and then go to Chimes for cider.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 19 September 2006 2.19pm
Or you could take your books/videos/vinyl in first and then on to Chimes for a nice steak and kidney pie and a decent cider.

I will ask if they have late night closing. Being a bit stereotypical about it they have some quite flamboyant clothes donations. Perhaps Ivanhoe could add to their stock. (We sometimes go there for clothes before "book day" at school where kids have to dress as their favourite character. However the bar was raised when one boy last term turned up as Marge Simpson. Good ideas are appreciated.)
Tuesday 19 September 2006 2.55pm
Marge Simpson for BOOK DAY!??!

What next? Sugababes on Classic FM?

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: