History of Tenison Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 15 September 2006 5.16pm
Hi everyone.i am doing research and am looking for an old address and hope some can help.My grandparents were living and working at this address in 1937 the address is 27 Tenison Street london se1 they were both in service there.I have found the place in the 1901 census but it does not help.If possible would like to know what this address was and how long my grandparents were there for.
If anyone can help,would be very greatful.
many thanks.
Monday 18 September 2006 7.02am
Sheila, see if you can track down a Kelly's Directory for that area, they were brilliant for that..are you in london? you could ring the john harvard for the number of the place that is the local history libray ( sorry senior moment!) local studies library that is down the small alley that used to run into Tennis street, just off long lane.
Monday 18 September 2006 9.53am
Don't know what it was, but here's where it was:

http://www.motco.com/map/81006/SeriesSearchPlatesFulla.asp?mode=query&title=Tenison+Street&artist=390&other=649&x=11&y=11

Running between Belvedere Road and York Road, on the site of what is now the Waterloo roundabout / Imax. Maybe what is now Concert Hall Approach? Looks like Upper Street is now Stamford Street.
Monday 18 September 2006 9.56am
The Waterloo bus station area is now known as Tenison Way.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hitch/gendocs/lonstr_t.html
lists two Tenison Streets - one in Lambeth (Waterloo) and one in Southwark.

Sheila - do you know which one it is that you are looking for?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 18 September 2006 4.13pm
hi everyone
and thanks for your replts sadly i live in a small town called ross-on-wye in Herefordshire,unable to get to London,to do reseach.
Tuesday 19 September 2006 5.08pm
Ross isn't that small - they have a huge retail outlet place (forget the name) - and it's well placed bang on the end of the M50. What more could you ask for?
Tuesday 19 September 2006 5.34pm
hi james Hatts
i am looking for 27 Tenison Street se1 london (lambeth)waterloo as my grandparents were married at St Johns the baptist?waterloo
many thanks
Tuesday 19 September 2006 5.37pm
hi JonR, you are talking about a big store called labels just of the m50.more good paid jobs things for kids to do i could go now but not in a whinging mood,any way labels is a seconds clothes out let which is supposed to be cheap.but a great place to but from.
Wednesday 20 September 2006 9.01pm
Hi Sheila,

The 1901 Kelly's handbook is available online on www.1837online.com. You do have to pay to search it, though, and the searches can only be done by surname as far as I can see (I tried to search for the address for you, but couldn't do it). Hope that helps.

TLMJJ
Wednesday 20 September 2006 10.08pm
hi TLMFF
many thanks for that will give it a go.i already use that site a lot(a great site) why is there not a lot of info on this place???,just want to know what the property was and how long they were there for,and what their jobs were like.??????????????
once again many thanks
Sheila.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: