Incessant noise near Sanctuary Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 16 September 2006 12.59pm
Hi

has anyone else heard, or been kept awake by, low pitched but loud and incessant motor/air conditioning type motor hum which started approx two weeks ago. It is loud enough at night to permeate my flat even with windows shut. I live just off Santuary St in SE1 and have not heard this noise before (lived here 2 years). I first noticed in the night of the 7th Sept and it has been humming ever since. There is a lot of new building around my area but cannot seem to pin point exactly where this noise is coming from - might be able to get what ever it is turned down at night if I could. Have walked round area lots of times but cannot find the source. Can anyone help..it is driving me mad!

Thanks Kate (in ear plugs)
Saturday 16 September 2006 8.09pm
I have found the Southwark Noise Team to be pretty good about out of hours construction and loud noise. Give them a call (unfortunately no number to hand - but should be pretty easy to get).

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Sunday 17 September 2006 1.37pm
Thanks for that...the problem is that it's not really a construction type noise more of a industrial type motor hum..typical of air conditioning motors etc. But really loud! I had a walk down the top part of Lant street today and I could hear it quite loudly there and also in Vine Yard which is behind Borough Tube. Its mad to be so worried about a noise in this very urban part of London but I bought my flat because it is actually very quiet at night and therefore this noise really stands out and is v. annoying! Thanks Kate
fh
Sunday 17 September 2006 11.59pm
kate my office is on sanctuary street so if you tell me which end it seems to be coming from i'll ask around at the office - someone might know
Monday 18 September 2006 1.03pm
It might be something to do with Joe's Kitchen - it backs on to Vine Yard. Didn't that open about two weeks ago? Perhaps they turn something on at night...

I haven't noticed anything during the day but then, traffic and builders' noise are omnipresent.
Monday 18 September 2006 2.53pm
I went for lunch at El Vergel today and thought the loudest sound was coming from the basement of no.4 sanctuary street,small section has a bamboo net around it but loud noise of air con plant was plain.Though the culprit might be vine court as it has a load of new build and a printing press works that works in the evening sometimes.Not sure if the council would take action as its decible level did'nt seem high enough to me,though at night it most probably seems louder
Monday 18 September 2006 3.06pm
nigel wrote:
I went for lunch at El Vergel today and thought the loudest sound was coming from the basement of no.4 sanctuary street,small section has a bamboo net around it but loud noise of air con plant was plain.Though the culprit might be vine court as it has a load of new build and a printing press works that works in the evening sometimes.Not sure if the council would take action as its decible level did'nt seem high enough to me,though at night it most probably seems louder

Yes, the Noise Team will come round with their (note: technical term) "noise-o-meters" to assess if the noise is loud enough. Worth having them come round if it is really bugging you.

PS. Love El Vergel - always good food.

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Monday 18 September 2006 8.50pm
Thank you everybody for replying to my post ! I am very very grateful. Re: 4 Santuary Street air con - that is noisy but has been like that since I moved here 2 years ago so don't think it can be that. The noise that's bothering me (and also someone else in the flats, so can't be mad!) is such a low humming frequency that in fact you cannot hear it too much in the daytime which is good. But at night when everything dies down it becomes a real nuisance. Last night it seemed to be everywhere in the air - even wondered if its something to do with Borough tube.Its like a really powerful generator noise but it's just the right incessant frequency to drive you mad! I keep thinking where ever the source is must be really loud. I did check the air con from Joe's kitchen but you could hear the humming noise I'm complaining about over the top of their air con so it can't be that. If anyone has any other suggestions I would be really really grateful! It only started 10 days ago so it must be related to a building or building work thats new.
Monday 18 September 2006 10.05pm
I have not been to listen to your noise nuisance but I do sympathise. A few months ago I could wander around my flat and hear a low pitched hum from some parts but strangely not from others. The lower frequency a hum is the harder it is to pin-point it's source. I eventually tracked mine down to a vent/extractor unit for an Indian restaurant a good 100 mtrs away. I think for some reason it was worse on some days than others (I deduced it could be the wind direction) and now appears to have disappeared almost completely, it was always well below the level the council could intervene but it did not stop it being very, very irritating.
Thursday 21 September 2006 6.47am
i am pretty sure the noise comes from the printworks
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: