Bermondsey Street - congestion charging zone

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 1 May 2003 6.38pm
Can anyone help me as I am pulling my hair out over the congestion charging zones and resident discounts.

I recently moved into Bermondsey Street and in December last year, I was informed that I was inside of the conjestion charging zone and therefore would qualify for the residents discount. To access my flat by car I have to cross the 'Big Fat C' on the road at the Long Lane end because this part of the street is one way traffic only.

To cut a very long and boring story short - the congestion charging bods say that only half of the street (from 179 Bermondsey St) is in the zone and the lower numbers are out side of the zone. I am now on my fourth application, after dozens of calls to the conjestion charging office, where half of the staff agree that I live in the zone and the other half disagree. Most staff admit they are not aware that this part of the street is one way and say that is why it has been marked up as outside of the zone. Then they send me a standard letter telling me that I am not in the zone, even though they said I was!

Has anyone living in the lower property numbers of Bermondsey Street managed to get a residents discount? Or can anyone point me in the right direction to get this sorted!

Fingers crossed!

Post edited (30 Jun 03 15:39)
Friday 2 May 2003 12.52am
Very strange.

The Congestion Charging Scheme boundary runs along the full length of Tower Bridge Road from Tower Bridge to Bricklayers Arms, so the whole of Bermondsey Street is well inside the zone.

Are you sure they are not confusing residents parking zones (CPZ) with congestion charging zones (CCZ)? The boundaries of the CPZ are a mystery to everyone except Southwark Parking "Services".

I tried to find the official map on the TfL web site but it has curiously disappeared. Aunty Beeb has a page at where you can enter your post code to see if you are in the zone, and a copy of the official TfL map to download and print at

Friday 2 May 2003 9.44am
I live half way up Bermondsey Street beside the park and we're definitely inside the zone. Just got our residents discount confirmation through in fact.
As Zoodle says the boundary is tower bridge road all the way to the big roundabout, so they just don't know what they're talking about! That's Capita for ya
Friday 2 May 2003 10.13am
Thanks for your reply. All this is so time consuming and I just can't get them to agree that I live in the zone.

Ive written off to the papers and the BBC - a bit more bad publicity may just swing it......I hope!

Friday 2 May 2003 3.03pm
Chris - you are definitely inside the zone. The boundary is Tower Bridge Road. Even if you are 1 meter inside you are in the zone. Take the Jam Factory for example. Even though Green Walk/Rothsay St are dead end roads leading into the complex, they are deemed to be inside the congestion charging zone!!!! What's that if it is not Tfl revenue raising ... Oh yes Mr Livingstone, thankyou for easing the congestion on my driveway!!
Saturday 3 May 2003 8.01pm
Amazed it has taken so long (two days?) for the Ken-bashing to resume. Of course he sat down and deliberately drew up the boundaries himself to annoy people.
Saturday 3 May 2003 8.09pm
Er, Kevin I think you will find that Ken will take all the credit (and critisism) for the congestion charing scheme, so he doesn't need you to fight his battle. I clicked 'yes' to the "has congestion charging scheme had a positive effect on SE1" poll on this site, so I am not against it. The point I am making will be very clear if you go an stand on TBR and look at the entrance to the Jam Factory on both Rothsay St and Green Walk.
Monday 5 May 2003 10.02am

I'm having exactly the same problem as yours... I got a letter saying that I live outside of the zone. They are now re-processing the application (after numberous calls and letters) and 2 months later, I've not received anything yet !

In the meantime, I'm driving around, not paying the charge, and am waiting for my first penalty to come through (which strangely has not yet happened) and argue my case in court.

Tuesday 6 May 2003 5.09pm
Agree with everyone: All Bermondsey Street is in the zone. May be helpful to know that when you call the CCZ number press 9 (not advertised) and you get through to a human quickly. Can save a lot of time. We are in Bermondsey Square and in the zone without any question.
Wednesday 7 May 2003 8.50am
Er, Tony it was a point about delegated responsibility.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: