Bicycle Enforcement

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 18 September 2006 10.15am
I was stopped by two community patrol officers at the road closure on Leathermarket street yesterday for riding my bicycle on the pavement to get around the closure (about 50 feet).

I was scolded for riding on the pavement (something I never do), and was kindly informed that all I had to do was give the chap my name and date of birth. Maybe I complied with this request, but then again maybe I just rode away.

There were two of them, and they had stopped someone else immediately before me. I am a responsible cyclist and I support the efforts to ensure cyclists ride responsibly, but to stand at a road closure, and stop cyclists for riding 50 feet on the sidewalk to get around an obstacle, is simply too easy.

It also doesn't bode well for cyclists - i can only assume that the name/d.o.b are needed so they can generate data...I think I smell another tax coming!
Monday 18 September 2006 12.03pm
why didn't you get off the bike and walk?
Monday 18 September 2006 12.25pm
Here Here dee dee

There aren't many things that make my blood boil but the behaviour of cyclists is one thet does - Why you ask ?

Within the last month I have very nearly crashed into 2 cyclists who have jumped red lights - and it appeared that they seemed to think I was to blame even though I was going through a green traffic light (?!), had my baby son injured by a cyclist ignoring a red light at a pelican crossing and in a different incident my 4 year old was nearly knocked over by a cyclist on the pavement - so I guess I am probably entitled to think the worst - if it was down to me I wouldn't fine cyclists who ignore THE LAW I would take one of their wheels off and make them walk home.

So yes - I think you should have dismounted and used the pavement for what it's meant for - walking on.

Ane yes, we are a cycling family but we stop at red lights, are polite to pedestrians and don't terrorise small children and the elderly.

Rant over

LottieNancyB
Monday 18 September 2006 12.36pm
I hate cycalist. They have no consideration for pedestrians at red lights or on pavements.
Monday 18 September 2006 12.43pm
The cycling-on-pavements argument has been done to death here before; please let's not go over the same old ground.

For some reason the subject seems to bring out the worst in some people and they lose all capability for rational thought and sense of proportion.

Yes, there are some irresponsible cyclists who give all cyclists a bad name, which is a great shame when cycling has so many benefits as a form of transport.

Not to justify bad behaviour by cyclists, but let's remember that there are plenty of irresponsible road users of all types.

I'm sure other cyclists would agree that - for instance - pedestrians who step out into the street without looking (often whilst talking on a mobile phone) are also dangerous and highly irritating.

It is extremely annoying when people make out that all cyclists are sub-human law-breaking maniacs and that cyclists are the only sources of danger on the roads.

I haven't seen the road closure in Leathermarket Street that deek is referring to but I'd possibly be tempted to cycle round it if the pavement was empty; if there were people around I'd get off and walk.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 18 September 2006 12.43pm
To try to answer Deek's original question, "why was I asked just to give my name and address", this is the position as I understand it. I'm not a cyclist and there are others who may know the detail better than me who can clarify.

From 1st August 1999, the police have been allowed to issue on the spot fixed penalty notices on anyone who is guilty of cycling on a footway.

However, subsequent guidance says that a fixed penalty notice should only be used where a cyclist is riding in a manner that may endanger others and police officers should use their discretion.

The idea behind taking names and addresses is an alternative to issuing a fixed penalty notice. The officers exercise their discretion not to fine someone who is riding on the pavement, but if the same name keeps cropping up over a period, officers may use it as evidence that the person is persistently riding in a way which endangers others and without regard for the safety of pedestrians.
Monday 18 September 2006 1.00pm
dee dee wrote:

Simply put - i didn't feel like it. The only other people there were 2 support officers, and another cyclist they just stopped. There was zero risk of hitting a pedestrian.

You'd be as well to ask why the road was closed.
Monday 18 September 2006 1.13pm
was it 'name and address'
or 'name and d.o.b.'?

either way, it looks like just taking data for data's sake, and the two blokes were probably sat there, all day, stopping every cyclist who didn't walk around the road works - incidently, where does the traffic go (ie cars and vans)?
if they can get round - why can't cyclists?
if the road is closed and they can't get round, then the cyclists should definitely get off and walk (even for 50 yards).
Monday 18 September 2006 1.17pm
If there were pedestrians in sight I would definitely walk. But if the pavement was completely empty (and I mean completely empty) I think the temptation to cycle round the obstruction on the pavement would be too much for even the most responsible cyclist to resist.

However, if I was stopped for doing so it would be annoying - but I would accept that I was technically in the wrong.

I don't think deek has grounds for complaint about being stopped - especially if he/she saw the PCSOs before choosing to cycle on the pavement.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 18 September 2006 1.59pm
deek wrote:
dee dee wrote:

Simply put - i didn't feel like it.

Breathtaking arrogance! Laws only apply when deek says they do!

You've admitted you broke the law so why complain?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: