Shard of Glass Breaking Ground Soon

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 74
Wednesday 20 September 2006 9.54am
Further to the article in the news section today, all I can say is HURRAY !!!
Wednesday 20 September 2006 1.34pm
By "soon", I think you mean 12-15 months. And even then, it will take a further 9-12 months for demolition to be complete, followed by around 18 months of foundation/piling work before the core can start to rise. This tower is unfortunately still a long way off...

Far more exciting in the short term is the Leadenhall Building, which is starting work in January 2007 and will take only 2 years to build.
Wednesday 20 September 2006 1.43pm
Wednesday 20 September 2006 3.07pm
I think the news article was mostly based on a PR release from one third owners CLS holdings.

The fact that Halabi, who owns a third of the project wants to sell his share and the effect this may have on how soon construction will start, if he can't sell it, wasn't mentioned.

I hope for a quick completion too, but don't hold your breath!

Does anyone have any up-to-date news on the Beetham tower? Last I heard (August) was that it was being 're-modelled.'
Wednesday 20 September 2006 3.46pm
Dont talk to me about towers. The new block on our parking lot in Metro Central Heights isjust about to start. No more parking, no access, two years of hell, UGH!
Friday 12 January 2007 11.51am
This project is now in doubt, thanks to the heritage body UNESCO, who are worried it could spoil views of the Tower of London (despite a lengthy planning procedure in 2001-2002, followed by an even longer public inquiry in 2003 which cost 10m and proved beyond doubt that the Shard would have negligible impact on the Tower of London). UNESCO seem to feel that London is a "museum city" like Rome, which can never change or develop in the future.

Transport for London - who were meant to be taking the office space as their new headquarters - are rumoured to be under pressure to cancel their pre-let.

In addition, a bitter row has broken out between the partners who are funding the Shard. It sounds like they will be going to court.

In my opinion this is beyond a joke now. It's a farce of epic proportions. So much time, money and effort has been invested just to reach this stage. PricewaterhouseCoopers are vacating the current site in July, funding was secured, and construction was all set to begin immediately afterwards... but the whole thing is now in doubt.

I am totally and utterly fed up. Kiss goodbye to this stunning, beautiful, world class landmark -

http://www.willfox.com/images/skyscrapers/lbt/1.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/benveasey/.Pictures/lbt.jpg
http://www.willfox.com/images/skyscrapers/lbt/base.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/wjfox2005/London_general/1-4.jpg
Friday 12 January 2007 12.05pm
(Will - I've attached your message to a more recent Shard thread, rather than the 2005 thread you posted in.)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 12 January 2007 12.07pm
Okay, thanks.
Monday 15 January 2007 8.37am
How utterly depressing if this beautiful building is delayed or worse abandoned.

I'm fed up with people and groups who don't live in the area always claiming that any new building will have an impact on some idealised "view" of St Pauls/Tower of London.

I want to live in a city that is alive and dynamic not an architecturally fossilised museum city. Let's try and focus these debates on the quality of the design.
Monday 15 January 2007 1.11pm
if it's true, that the UNESCO decision has in fact meant that the Shard is now not going to happen, that is indeed a shame (i don't personally agree with them on this one), but lets hope that it's a good sign for the same thing happening at Potters Fields (where the new blocks of flats shouldn't be built as currently planned).
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 74

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: