Advice needed - getting support for an elderly lady

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 21 September 2006 10.37pm
People on this Forum have amazing knowledge, and so might be able to give some practical advice.

One of my neighbours, a pensioner, cares for his frail elderly mother. However he has been taken into hospital quite suddenly and may be there for some time.

Other neighbours have rallied round to do cooking, shopping etc, but this is clearly unsustainable. Presumably what is needed is for someone (Lambeth Social Services) to provide some form of immediate core support with neighbours popping in to provide company, food etc.

If you know how the system works, who to contact and so on, it would be great if you could post.


Friday 22 September 2006 12.29pm
Lambeth Social Services can be tricky if you're not sure exactly how the system works so I recommend you use the advice service at the Waterloo Action Centre as your first point of call. The number I have for them is 020 72611404 - I'm not sure if that's the advice line itself, but they'll give you the right number if necessary.

The WAC should be able to advise you on which Lambeth dept to contact etc

Good luck
Friday 22 September 2006 12.47pm
when my grandmother needed care at home our GP was very good in contacting people and getting the help needed so you may try them.
Friday 22 September 2006 1.53pm
Also there might be a social worker at the hospital your neighbour is in who can help.
When my grandad was in hospital it was a social worker there who arranged care for my nan while he was ill. Different borough and health authority though, so Lambeth might have a different system.
Friday 22 September 2006 2.54pm
Maybe the best option is the Lambeth Community Care Centre in Monkton Street (020 7411 5840). My neighbours are both frail and elderly and when the husband has gone into hospital in the past, they have cared for his wife there.

It's the place with the beautiful garden which opens as part of the garden's scheme.


Friday 22 September 2006 5.34pm
Your neighbour should contact the hospital dischrge team at what ever hospital his mother is in. They are the social services social work team and should be able to plan for her discharge and incorporate what ever help she needs. Hope this helps
Monday 25 September 2006 8.37am
Thanks to all.

It is the son (carer) who is in hospital, not the mum. I think the GP has been informed by one of the neighbours. But the hospital is a good idea as they will be used to this.

I know how difficult it can be to find the right person in an organisation as big as Lambeth. It would be great to have information on the first point of call. A devoted carer and good neighbours will at times, need extra help.
Monday 25 September 2006 9.50am
I think my first phone call would be to Age Concern, who may well have a better and more joined up understanding of how the system operates in your area. I know Southwark have a dedicated drop-in centre, but not sure about Lambeth. The phone number for the Lambeth office is (020) 7733 0528.

Monday 25 September 2006 4.59pm

good luck

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network