Anyone else been caught with this?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 22 September 2006 2.15pm
hello, new to forum, so apologies if this is an old topic.

not driven in central london since before congestion charge, but lived near tower bridge almost 9 years. recently hired a car, driving up tower bridge road, want to turn right to go to tooley st and then jamaica rd, can't go right, turn left in fair street, drive down turn right onto tooley street and this is the congestion zone. so have been fined. if any of this makes sence to anyone else (?). madness. have been fined 50 for driving about 50 yrds in congestion zone, when you can't turn right, so you have to go left. and now hire company have charged me 47 admin fee. can you imagine my joy!
Friday 22 September 2006 3.03pm
Totally understandable getting caught - even if you phone them up to ask if you have gone into the zone or not, they are not allowed to tell you!

My only advice would be to contest the 47 admin fee levied by the hire car company. Check the terms of your hire contract and if there is nothing in there about it, refuse to pay it or offer to pay 5. Argue that an admin fee is intended to cover the cost of administration and that there is no way administration would take any more than 10 minutes (I presume all they did was forward the fine).

Friday 22 September 2006 3.16pm
If you had gone straight over the lights at Tooley Street and turned left into Queen Elizabeth Street and then left again onto Tooley Street, i think you would have avoided the fine.
Friday 22 September 2006 4.53pm
Sarah is right, TFL have designed the right turn to Jamaica Rd from TBR to be from turning left after you have passed Tooley st and then doing another left onto it to merge with the traffic. This is the safer option than turning right onto traffic from the turn daxy69 did. I fail to see why the fine is in place for this small section of the road as many motorists will be making the same mistake, it smacks of the real reason behind the C charge, a tax on motorists, and nothing to do with congestion at all!.
Friday 22 September 2006 6.51pm
Sarah's right - that small section of Queen Elizabeth Street and Tooley Street west of Tower Bridge Road isn't part of the CCZ so if you take that route to get to the eastern part of Tooley Street you don't have to pay the congestion charge.
Sunday 24 September 2006 10.25am
thank you all for the responses. this has now confirmed for me how mad it all is.
Saturday 6 June 2009 12.31pm
Hello, I just got caught into this one as well a couple of weeks ago. I posted an inquiry and weas sent a link to this forum as well. I would like to see if more people have had the same problem - and if anyone has managed to get that fee paid back. It is as Jerry said problably a very common turn to make for motorists, and when done, there is no way to go back since it is a one way street. In addition, nobody will know that there is a second turn, and that this one in addition is "safe" to use. This fee is only there to catch drivers trying to turn right, not people with the intention of entering the CC zone. Very rude indeed.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: