Tower bridge closure

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 12 December 2001 4.55pm
Tower bridge will finally close to all traffic & pedestrians (?)for renovation for 5 wks from Jan 7th. Should be interesting finding an alternative route!
Thursday 13 December 2001 5.26pm
my heart sank when i saw that - speaking as one who lives in borough and works in wapping!
Monday 17 December 2001 9.21am
well guess i have a long walk in january, the sign says use alternative crossing, erm well there isnt really if you live one side and work the other. still think how fit we will all be.
Monday 17 December 2001 1.53pm
and how nice and quite it's going to be for us who live on the junction and work in the opposite direction!
Saturday 29 December 2001 11.07pm
There is an alternative crossing for travellers on foot, the old foot tunnel which links tooley street to the tower of London (now used as a fiber optic cable conduit)

scroll down to the words 'Tower Subway' to see a map and pictures of this old river crossing.

They should re-open it to foot passengers until Tower Bridge re-opens.
Monday 31 December 2001 5.35pm
Do you think that it will be shut to traffic on New Years eve
Thursday 3 January 2002 11.30am
A reader has emailed to say that City Cruises will be running a ferry service across the river from Butlers Wharf Pier to St Katherine's Dock. The cost will be 1 each way and it will run from 7.30-9.30 / 12-3 / 4-10.
Friday 4 January 2002 7.06am
a ferry is a good idea, but what about people like me who start early, i have to be at work at 6:30 i phoned london buses asking if they are adding any servrices to the 78 route. they didnt seem to know the bridge was closing, then i was told service is staying the same. not even a change in timetables [isnt it going to take longer!!!! so buses will be running late] so for me to get to work i will have to walk, which means london bridge which doubles my time. so an hours walk every morning for me.
Monday 7 January 2002 1.44pm
Was the ferry crossing from Butlers Wharf to St Katharines Dock open this morning? Did anyone use it? If you're considering taking a bus to get over London Bridge, forget it, it took well over half an hour from Shad Thames.
Monday 7 January 2002 9.53pm
The <a href="">Corporation of London site</a> has details of the ferry and bus diversions.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: