Security Cameras on New Kent Rd

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 6 May 2003 2.23pm
Has anyone noticed that somebody (council/GLA/Met Police/other???) seems to have put up security cameras masquerading as conjestion charging cameras on the New Kent Rd. They went up at the same time as the charging cameras and look similar, but as far as I am aware, there is no reason to be photographing numberplates on the New Kent Road, as it does not cross the charging boundary at any point.

Does anyone know what the story is?

-MM- The Nature of Monkey was Irrepressible.
Tuesday 6 May 2003 6.05pm
Could they be part of TfL's network of bus lane enforcement cameras? Details are at:

Picture of a typical roadside camera is at:

After my experience this morning in buses held up for 15 minutes by just 3 morons parking/loading in bus lanes at 9.00am, I'm all for bringing back the rope for the culprits

Tuesday 6 May 2003 9.56pm
They are bus lane enforcement cameras. They look the same as the CC cameras because they are. Same network, same operator (Capita).
Tuesday 6 May 2003 10.21pm
It is estimated that everyone is caught on around 400 CCTV cameras every day in London. There are more cameras in london than in any other city in the world.
Tuesday 6 May 2003 11.53pm
Best walk around with a smile on your face then. : )
Wednesday 7 May 2003 9.39am
... yet when our flat in E1 was broken into (twice last year) directly in front of two CCTV cameras, the Police said "oh no they won't be any help the images won't be detailed enough" ... right ....
Wednesday 7 May 2003 10.56am
thanks for the pic links Lang Rabbie, but the ones I am talking about are the ones that are high up on a big black pole, with one camera on the top, with a second one half way down the pole. The vast majority of them are for conjestion charging, but there are a few that went up at the same time that are not on the boundary or within the zone. I am sure Tony is right that they are bus-lane enforcement cameras, but they look very different to the traditional ones, that are the single grey box variety in your weblink pics. But in which case, why do I see them rotating in different directions occassionally (eg: outside the mini Safeways on New Kent Rd, or on the sliplane from the Bricklayers to the Old Kent Road?). Surely if they are for bus-lane enforcement, the bus-lane doesn't move?

Jesus, I have just re-read my posting, and I have come to the conclusion that I lead a very sad life indeed, and I need to get out more.

-MM- The Nature of Monkey was Irrepressible.
Wednesday 7 May 2003 12.42pm
MM - do you have some kind of neck injury that forces you to walk 'round looking up at 45 degrees?!

I've just popped over to Safeway's and I am pretty sure they are enforcement cameras.
Wednesday 7 May 2003 1.00pm
From the field report posted by MM, they probably aren't enforcement cameras, but just to monitor the jams on the network. Which is a pity, as it means that the buses will continue to be delayed by a few thoughtless folk - although thinking about it New Kent Road isn't as bad as other local streets for this.

I don't think that they are operated by Capita. A further thrilling extract from the TfL Street Management website follows:

"The London Traffic Control Centre (LTCC) is a central control point, staffed by the Metropolitan Police and TfL Street Management staff to: monitor network conditions; process, integrate and analyse data; introduce contingency traffic signal timings; direct police to specific problem areas and disseminate traffic information to public and media. The team also manages the installation of VMS, CCTV and Enforcement cameras. "

Methinks VMS = "variable message signs" - the things that usually warn you about forthcoming demos in the West End rather than current road works.

Post edited to clarify reference to "sadly they aren't enforcement cameras" - I agree that in general "town centre" CCTV is over-hyped and has little effect on crime levels [or displaces it to adjacent side streets/estates] unless you link it to a top notch lighting strategy and use skilled staff in the control room, making use of police intelligence (yeah- I know its an oxymoron). This costs big bucks, which neither Southwark or Lambeth budgeted for when they rolled out their schemes.

Post edited (10 May 03 10:57)
Wednesday 7 May 2003 1.42pm

CCTV Cameras do not make you feel as safe as you think.

As the earlier posts point out - they are not as good as solving crimes as is often portrayed and nor do they deter criminals.

I witnessed a knife-stand off ("I'll f****n stab you etc etc..") in Kennington a few months ago where the protagonists even referred specifically to the in store CCTV Cameras - (e.g. "you'll be on camera", "I bloody don't care etc.. ")

Further, a recent ACPO report noted that something as simple as better street lighting was actually more effective at deterring casual crime than CCTV.

YET, this country actually has more CCTV per head than anywhere else in the world. We are fed the delusion that new CCTV always makes us safer. Still the things go up around here, and everywhere else. Now they are running tests on integrating face recognition and gait recognition systems with CCTV. It is all a big waste of money.

Our police need to be better trained, and there needs to be more of them. It is that simple. That is what we need to spend our money on. That is the way to make London safer.

(sigh) rant over.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: