RV1 petition to restore old route

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 2 October 2006 5.25pm
Would anyone be interested in getting up a petition to restore the RV1 to Tooley Street -Crucifix Lane loop?
Monday 2 October 2006 7.06pm
I would sign one as this WAS my regular (and relaxing) way to and from work each day. Maybe they could restore this section to peak hours? The ONLY other bus that now serves this route (unless you want the one stop to London Bridge) is often useless, as either buses full or you have to wait forever.
Tuesday 3 October 2006 1.35pm
Having started the original RV1 re-routed thread, I would happily sign. The RV1 is far superior to the 381 which is now the only bus (apart from the 343 to London Bridge) serving the stop near to Suchard's bar on Crucifix Lane.
Tuesday 3 October 2006 8.32pm
perhaps take it on the RV1 fun day out (see other thread)??

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 3 October 2006 10.14pm
I think the RV1 should be re-instated to its original route as it (no longer) links Bermondsey Street to London Bridge station. I also think the 343 should stop on Tanner Street.
Tuesday 3 October 2006 11.54pm
I would be happy to sign up.
Monday 9 October 2006 2.34pm
Hi,

i'm writting to ak for your support with the RV1 bus route changes. I recently stood at the bus stop on Crucifix lane (on the right at the top of Bermondsey Street opp' the scooter shop) waiting to catch the RV1 bust stop. After half an hour it hadn't shown up so i ended up having to catch a taxi in a panic. I then waited again a few days later and the same thing happened. I discovered that it was because the route has been diverted to only call at London Bridge station and no longer calls at Crucifx lane.

With all the new build and population increase on Bermondsey Street, Leathermarket Street, Weston Street etc i simply don't understand why this has happened.

I wrote to transport for London who gave me the standard reply of - 'blah blah blah - we don't care - we don't have to explain - this was only a temporary route blah blah blah - get lost'

I have now written to Simon Hughes MP requesting his help. If you used to use this bus stop to catch the RV1 - or perhaps didn't even know the RV1 existed then please get in touch with transport for London and Mayor Ken, Simon Hughes etc - i have contact details for all if you wish to get involved.

Thanks people !
Monday 9 October 2006 3.16pm
Peter Hendy of TfL was asked about this in the Southwark News last week. He admitted that consultation on the change of route was poor (they did not contact TRAs or the local councillors) and apologised for this. He believes the new route is better because (a) it now follows the same route between London Bridge and Tower Bridge in both directions and (b) it allows the westbound buses to avoid a lengthy detour around Druid Street, Crucifix Lane, Bermondsey Street.

I don't really know much about that part of the RV1 route myself - I'm just reporting the comments above for information.
Monday 9 October 2006 4.30pm
Personally, I agree with Peter Hendy that the new route is better. A lot of people get on the bus at Tower Hill, and again at Tower Bridge Road, with he intention of travelling westward along the Southbank.

With the old route, they had to suffer a bizarre eastward diversion around the Druid Street one-way system, which in the morning was always subject to bad traffic jams. I'm all for bus routes that take a more direct route than perambulate around endless diversions.

So, looking at the bigger-picture of the overall RV1 bus-route, straightening out the route encourages more people to take the bus.

Presumably, those people that used to catch the bus at Druid Street simply walk up to Tower Bridge Road now. The extra walking time is more than compensated by the overall time-saving.
Monday 9 October 2006 6.36pm
I agree with Martin Underwood and the man from Tfl.

The new route now makes it possible to get from Tower Bridge to London Bridge quicker than walking, thereby making the route useful. It used to be quicker to walk, as the diversion round Druid Street could take ages and made the route fairly pointless for short journeys.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: