240 Blackfriars Road (opposite Christ Church)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Wednesday 4 October 2006 9.34am
[split from ongoing thread re. Beetham tower]

Is Southwark Council's stance on tall buildings set in stone? I live in Burrell Street and have just found out that the entire site from Southwark Street to Burrell Street (opposite Christchurch Gardens) has now been acquired and planning permission is being sought for a 15 story building - around twice the height of the current tallest one. As I live in the only residential area immediately affected (I think), this fills me with horror! Does anyone else know anymore about it? This is of even more concern as the Beetham's Tower is planned, the whole area around Blackfriars Road/Stamford Street junction is subject to a planning application and the site at the corner of Columbo Street is also to be demolished. Four major building projects in such a tiny area, all being undertaken around the same time, how can this possibly be acceptable? Can Southwark Council do anything to stop it even if they want too? How do the residents of Quadrant House in Burrell Street lodge their objections? Help!
Wednesday 4 October 2006 9.47am
suziq wrote:
I live in Burrell Street and have just found out that the entire site from Southwark Street to Burrell Street (opposite Christchurch Gardens) has now been acquired and planning permission is being sought for a 15 story building - around twice the height of the current tallest one. As I live in the only residential area immediately affected (I think), this fills me with horror! Does anyone else know anymore about it?
Heave you seen this? http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2334

The planning application is here - deadline for comments is 22 October.

Probably a good idea to start a new thread re. the Great Portland Estates development to avoid confusion with Beetham.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 17 October 2006 3.25pm
A planning notice has gone up on the corner of Blackfriars Road and Burrell Street dated today (17 October), so you have 21 days from today to send letters of objection or support.

Wednesday 28 March 2007 8.46am
This scheme was approved last night by Southwark planning committee.

News story to follow later.

KM
Wednesday 28 March 2007 10.11am
I'd like to say thank you for the info James, but I can't - I'm just grateful I should have moved well away from Blackfriar's Road by the time all this mess happens!

Good luck to you Susiq if you're still stuck in the middle of it all. No doubt the high buildings advocates can come up with (to them) good excuses for all of these developments, I just despair.
Wednesday 28 March 2007 10.30am
James Hatts wrote:
This scheme was approved last night by Southwark planning committee.

Excellent news - it's a great piece of architecture, very futuristic looking and will transform an otherwise depressing and incredibly rundown area. Shame the NIMBYs are so paranoid about this development. It's not even particularly tall.
Wednesday 28 March 2007 11.41am
Totally agree wjfox. It is, what? 60m tall? that is only about 1/3 the height of the Beetham scheme. As you said it looks very futuristic, and will be of high quality.

I just want to know why people seem to think London shouldn't develop new taller buildings. It is the world's leading financial centre along with New York ffs, if you don't like development then move. Simple as that. It would probably take the same amount of time to build if the building was only half the size, as they tend to be wider, and take up more space that could be used for the public or wider streets.

"No doubt the high buildings advocates can come up with (to them) good excuses for all of these developments, I just despair."

Oh believe me, the feeling is VERY mutual. Only thing is the anti-highrise arguments tend to fall flat on their ass alotof the time:)
Wednesday 28 March 2007 11.44am
Newcastle Guy wrote:
It is, what? 60m tall? that is only about 1/3 the height of the Beetham scheme.
It's also about three times the height of what's currently on the site and in the immediate vicinity. That's quite a significant change for those of us who live and work on and around Blackfriars Road.

Wednesday 28 March 2007 12.51pm
For comparison -

http://tinyurl.com/yvbfmk

As you can see, it's pretty insignificant in terms of height. It won't harm any conservation areas and it barely qualifies as a "midrise", let alone a high-rise. In any case, this is a fairly central area at the heart of a major world city, on a busy road leading into the financial district. London needs to develop and grow, you can't expect to live/work around there and not have anything new going up.

This area clearly needs regenerating and this new office will go some way towards starting that process. I've lived and worked around there myself and it's a thoroughly depressing stretch of road with almost nothing of visual or architectural appeal. Personally I can't see how this tower could possibly make things worse or "spoil" the area. It's a good modern design.

And by the way, it appears that work is starting on the nearby Kings Reach Tower as well - they'll be giving the old building a thorough re-clad and cleanup.
KM
Wednesday 28 March 2007 3.01pm
The arrogance of some people leaves me astonished. Can I ask where, in the very vaguest of detail, do you live wj? When I moved into my flat I had a view of St Pauls on one side and the War Musem on the other, over 25 years various things have come between us and I've been saddened but accepted it as part of progress and modern life.

I think, and I am as entitled to my opinion as you are, that the buildings being proposed are out of character and proportion and I find them ugly. The 'feet' here or 'floors' there arguments are irrelevant to me - clean up and restore some the older properties you consider eyesores and retain some local character is the preference of most of my neighbours and we live here.

What's the extra slab, on top of the 'thing' recently opened on Blackfriars Rd, none of us know although it's been much discussed? An architects conceit that's what! It's like an opera director setting Mozart under the freeway in Los Angeles - they can so they do. 'Ordinary' people, and I'm not ashamed to count myself among them, get a laugh from such things but buildings, unlike unsuccessful theatrical productions, can be dumped after a few years. I'm not being NIMBY, I'm saying what I think and no amount of bullying will stop me - has it ever occurred to you that you might not always be right?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: