The Circle -- Electricity bills?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 4 October 2006 12.56pm
Hi -

I live in the Circle and am surprised by very high electricity bills. Of course, I am aware of recent price rises, but my bills seem significantly higher (sometimes double) than those of friends who live elsewhere - often in larger homes with a higher energy consumption.

I'd be interested in comparing bills with other residents of the Circle. I'd also welcome any thoughts on whether it's possible to have London Energy (or someone) do an energy efficiency audit, and advice on moving to green energy.

Chris
Wednesday 4 October 2006 1.44pm
Erm, it should be fairly easy to check the units used vs the charges... Unless some evil criminal mastermind has tapped into your flat's electricity supply to generate power for his Diabolical Death Ray Device.

I am sure there is a energy saving advice website or two you can find easily with google.

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Wednesday 4 October 2006 1.56pm
Do you happen to know the number of KwH such a device uses? I'll verify this against my bill.

More seriously, though, it would be useful to compare like devices. All heaters and most appliances in the Circle are of similar model / vintage. Comparing usage would not only help with controlling cost (perhaps I have mis-read the manuals on my heaters and have inefficient settings?) but would also identify ways to improve energy usage.

I was rather hoping that London Electricity would provide an energy audit service, but they can't even tell me what time every night Economy 7 actually starts (yet somehow they know how to bill me for this....)
Wednesday 4 October 2006 2.15pm
I don't live in the Circle, but I had a similar problem with my electricity bills when I moved into my flat. It transpired that my meter was faulty, and that the reading labelled "peak" was the off-peak reading, and vice versa, resulting in my being charged about 3 times what I should have been. It took absolutely ages to get it sorted out, but in the end the meter was changed (twice) and I was given a refund of about 800.

I had the same message from London Electricity about not being able to tell me when Economy 7 started, as well...
Wednesday 4 October 2006 2.45pm
switch on both the peak and off peak water imersion heaters, sit and watch the switches, note down the time when the peak swith light goes off, and the off peak switch light comes on.

easy (if you have on and off peak imersion heater switches with lights, and lots of spare time between 10pm and about 2am).

The TfL website has links which lead eventually to environmental energy saving sites...

have you tried the Energy Saving Trust? this website is very useful!

and they do a home energy efficiency test here
Wednesday 4 October 2006 11.54pm
If you find the timing on your economy 7 meter to be wrong, until the electricity company sort it out you should set your water heater timer to the same time as the meter.
Thursday 5 October 2006 8.43am
If the meter is not in your flat it's possible that they have been incorrectly labelled and you are paying some else's bill! THis has actually happened to me before.
Thursday 5 October 2006 10.44am
when we moved in, i made a mistake and supplied the peak/off peak readings the wrong way round, and then queried the next three bills based on estimated readings, because they were so far out, then the elec company got us to do readings once a week, i think we emailed them in, or possible phoned, or texted them, anyway, after a 6 week period they asked us to stop, as we were using an average amount for the type of property, and we now pay, based on estimated readings again.
Thursday 12 June 2008 2.25pm
Hi all -

I thought I'd post again about this same topic to see if anyone has had any new experiences. I've tried a number of things over the last year or so to reduce electricity usage, and hence bills, but it still seems to be very high.

I'd be interested to hear from other residents in the Circle to compare notes. We're a 1 bed flat, with 2 adults living there, and occasionally an adult guest. We have "normal" usage of heavy goods - each has a short shower once a day, and we run dishwasher and washing machine on "economy" mode at night, maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

Yet our bill for the quarter just ended was 320 and the one before was 450.

Is this normal for the Circle, given that there's no gas heating? It seems awfully high to me.......

Bluefish
Thursday 12 June 2008 2.32pm
Have you tried switching providers using uswitch or similar? I don't think Economy 7 represents particularly good value any more.

Chris
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: