Bermondsey in the Guardian

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 4 October 2006 3.04pm
This article is on the cover of the Society Guardian today - Common Ground

All about someone finding out what its like to be "common" and live on a council estate - with bermondsey being the place in question. Some interesting comments about Bermondsey being like a village, only in terms of the way people see each other and build relationships rather than estate agent "Bermondsey Village" speak.
Wednesday 4 October 2006 6.24pm
Bermondsey Village would work wonders for property values, its sounds good, Like SoBo but being so big i doubt it would ever qualify, unless a small part were to be named bermondsey village like the areas around bermondsey street, but i am sure that would raise objections from the old school bermondsey, maybe it could be the bermondsey wall area with such a diverse demographic, maybe that could qualify, and its right next to rotherhithe village, any more suggestions welcome
Thursday 5 October 2006 7.41am
<Flick> thanks for the link. I have been here five years - an economic refugee from north London - and while I love it, I am aware of the bermondsey village. I think some bermondsey residents might even be closing ranks against what they see as an influx of yuppies. I like the 'natives', even if some of them are suspicious of me.
Thursday 5 October 2006 10.51am
where is it, is there a cricket pitch
Thursday 5 October 2006 12.04pm
Gillian Evans was talking about this on Radio 4 last week:

It's about 15 minutes into the on-demand audio of the programme.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 5 October 2006 11.17pm
Thanks for the link, Flick. I haven't laughed so much while reading the Guardian for ages. What a patronising, snobby pile of s**t!

What sort of person would live somewhere for 10 years yet not consider herself a resident?
Friday 6 October 2006 10.11am
yes i thought so too, patronising old cow, degrees of common, get down with natives
Friday 6 October 2006 6.17pm
Thanks TLMJJ. Absolutely cringe-making.

Welcome to the Bermonsay Zoo. And in this cage we have "Working Class People" who despite their resiliance and attachment to the area, are threatened with extinction due to the fact that the more aggressive homo-middleclass is moving into their territory.

(To clarify, to save launching another discussion altogether, the "homo" is meant in the homo-sapiens sense.)

For me it was extraordinary that she was able to raise children in the area and still had no sense of community with other mothers.

The shortage of facilities and the grottiness of many that exist puts most mothers in the same boat. Just some of us are more able to buy or negotiate our way into better provision.
Saturday 7 October 2006 12.36am
Well, I hope she's happier in Putney, or wherever she lives now,with her own kind.
Saturday 7 October 2006 12.40am
Interseting picture they used to illustrate the "contrast" in neighbourhod - fancy new tower block vs old council block.

Except they chose a tower (the grotesque chameleon top "weather meter" but otherwise undistinguished generic tower near Borough Tube station) which did not exist during the dates that the story is about ie when that the woman lived in Bermondey (until 2004).
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: