Gambia St query

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 4 October 2006 3.05pm
Hi Everyone
I have joined this forum because I have family history connections in the area.My Clarke ancestors had a Carman and contractors business
that was at 14 Dolben St(1919)then later 181 Blackfriars Rd(1932) and then finally according
to old telephone directories they were at 77 Gambia St from 1937 to about 1975.They were later discribed as W.Clarke(Haulage Contractors)Ltd.I have had details of electoral registers
sent to me from the Southwark Local Studies Library and Gambia Street only goes up to number 25.I would not of thought that all the properties above 25 up to 77 would of been commercial only, with no residents.Can anyone explain this dilemma,how do the numbers in Gambia Street go now.
Mike Roberts
Wednesday 4 October 2006 3.55pm
I'm pretty sure one side of Gambia Street is railway arches from end to end, so purely commercial would seem right.
Wednesday 4 October 2006 5.02pm
suziq - you're thinking of Scoresby Street which is at right-angles to Gambia Street.

77 Gambia Street is still there. Until recently it was the home of GP Motors.

It's a very narrow yard between the railway line and the back of the new Palestra building.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 4 October 2006 7.28pm
Hi Suziq & James
Thanks for respective replies to my query.
Have you any idea how long no 77 Gambia St
was GP Motors,also what other premises would be either side of no 77.I have not been to that area.I was born in Clapham but then moved to Watford then Merstham,Surrey and am now in Norfolk.
Thursday 5 October 2006 12.51pm
GP Motors was there for as long as I can remember.

For most of the past half-century the site to the south was occupied by the India Office Library, and to the north is the Charing Cross-London Bridge railway line.

Thursday 5 October 2006 2.44pm
Hi James
Thanks for the extra info.My Clarke ancestors
under the name of W.clarke(Haulage Contractors)Ltd were in the phone book from 1937 - 1975 listed at the address 77 Gambia St.Perhaps in later years they shared the premises with GP Motors.
Monday 9 October 2006 2.24pm
Here's a quick image of the old GP Motors premises taken on a very dark and gloomy day last week:

Monday 9 October 2006 3.09pm
Hi James
Thanks for the photo,it gives me a good idea of the type of premises and the surrounding area.
If my ancestors were haulage contractors then they may of just had an office here where they booked the jobs.I don't know how many vehicles
they would of had or where they would of been kept.Before Gambia St they were at 181 Blackfriars Rd and in a Directory of 1934 it says they were at 181 Blackfriars Rd and also
9 Surrey Row.I am waiting to hear from the Southwark Local Studies Library if any of the family lived at Surrey Row.
Monday 12 March 2007 7.35pm
Does anyone know what became of GP Motors that was there at 77 Gambia Street? I'm wodering if they re-located somewhere else in London?
Sunday 8 December 2013 7.24pm
If I am Looking at the Right Site. By this Photo?. I thought it was Used by a Guy known to us Kids to the Very Late 1950' as ;Toffy'. A Rag and Bone Man. He kept his Horse & Cart on this Site.Next to the Railway Arch along this site to the Left of the Photo was the Bombed Site of the Old Blackfriars Boxing Ring & Flats known as 'Gambia'Buildings. Again Bombed during WW2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: