Coffee Shops in Tower Bridge Road area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 13 December 2001 3.42pm
Wouldn't it be good if we had a decent coffee shop on the Tower Bridge Road! especially when you consider the Jam Factory development, the existing developments and the student halls I think we deserve one....

I have emailed coffee republic and got the following rather elitist reply...

Many thanks for your e mail re potential stores for Coffee Republic.
Unfortunately at this present time we are looking for established areas to
trade in as rather taking unnecessary risks where the only winner is the
As the area improves through regeneration then we will take a closer look
at opportunities.

Many thanks.

Marcus Brownlow
Property Director

If you would like to let Marcus know that the area is worth investing in please email him at:

Thursday 13 December 2001 5.45pm
Good, I'm glad they have decided not to! Their coffee is overpriced and quite ghastly. I'm so so so bored with these Starbucks type chains with their corporate decor. Ugh. Surely the best Italian made coffee for a good price can be found in the cafe's already in the area - where everyone chats to every one and not a double decaf with non fat in sight.
Sorry to have to disagree with you.
Thursday 13 December 2001 9.49pm
I agree Wendy - the Starbucks at London Bridge is close enough. Double decaf - yuck! But non-fat is essential, especially in the run up to Xmas.
Monday 17 December 2001 1.52pm
The Bus Stop in Tower Bridge Road does a very good espresso and although the area could do with a few more decent cafes, I agree that we can do without the dreadful characterless and over priced chains.
Friday 21 December 2001 1.23am
Sorry to interrupt your cafe name is Abdala, I'm a MBA student from the University of Surrey in Guildford, I need to submit an assigment next january 7...... I need to know if some of you know some place in Waterloo area (big enough for a nightclub), to only for academic purposes......if you can send me the information I'll appreciate very much.
By the way, I agree with Wendy....Italian cafes the best ones!!
Wednesday 26 December 2001 4.44pm
Is it just me who finds this woolly liberal anti-corporate bleating rather wearisome? Oh no, we can't have any commercial outlets or new retail developments unless it is run either by a Nicaraguan Marxist co-operative, or by some born-again Liberal Democrat, sandal-wearing, family business. If these anti-capitalist "down with Starbucks " types had their way, we would still be living in caves. Osama would be proud of you. The day we get a Starbucks on Tower Bridge Road will be the day that we can finally say that the area has finally dug itself out of its 60s council-estate squallor.
Wednesday 26 December 2001 6.20pm
Here here! Nice on Hungry Dog.
Monday 31 December 2001 11.26am
As a local resident, I would welcome any regeneration of the area as a step in the right direction given much of the local area (including the stretch of shops on tower bridge) still feels very run down.

However the first priority could be somewhere to chill like a nice bar open late with passable food etc, as I dont imagine many tall skinny latte drinkers hanging about during the day. As for Starbucks , do you know as well as being owned by Dr Evil (Austin Powers2), they charged rescuers at Ground Zero on sept11th for the water they were using for the victims of the attack - just goes to show what happens when people aren't allowed to think for themselves...
Monday 31 December 2001 11.30am
Well, the response from Coffee Republic is short-sighted. If ever there was a place ripe for the arrival of a coffee shop in their franchise, it's Tower Bridge Road.

I don't think we really need a Coffee Republic, but I would like to see Tower Bridge Road improve a bit -- a nicer restaurant or two, a decent pub, perhaps a wine bar (did I say that?) to compliment the existing institutions like Manzes.
Monday 31 December 2001 11.39am
By the way, The Bermondsey on Bermondsey Street is, after a few teething problems, rather good now. It's not open on weekends, of course, but it's a nice place to have a coffee, sandwich or glass of wine.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: