Hit and run at St. George's Circus

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 4 October 2006 8.36pm
I was the victim of a hit and run driver at St. George's Circus today. At about 5.50pm I was cycling around it and as I passed Blackfriars Road made eye contact with the drivers waiting at the give way line. One of these drivers, despite seeing me, decided to driver straight out in front of me causing me to collide with the car and end up on the road. Fortunately I've only suffered grazed hands and a fractured elbow, but the driver didn't stop or even seem to acknowledge that he'd done anything, just sped off. I managed to pick myself up and get onto the pavement (but not until impatient people started sounding their horns!) and some kindly SBU students who happened be passing stayed with me until they were sure I was OK. A van did briefly stop and say that they saw the drivers numberplate but unfortunately they then drove off and we lost them.

If anyone saw this incident (whether you noticed the registration number or not) I would be grateful if you would contact me or post a message here. The car was a pale metalic green colour. I can't remember the make or model, I seem to remember it being a large hatchback, possibly a Vauxhall or a Nissan and the driver was of Arabic appearance.

I wouldn't be so angry had the driver genuinely not seen me, or if he'd even bothered to stop (as legally and morally required to do so). Just what did he think he was doing, driving out in front of someone he had clearly seen? It's also annoying as this evening I was meant to be visiting my grandfather on his birthday but instead I spent part of the evening in Guys hospital (who, incidentally, were very good) and now can't drive until the fracture is sorted out.

So please look out for this lunatic driver, he is a risk to all road users and not just cyclists.
Wednesday 4 October 2006 9.32pm
Sorry to hear this. I hope that you are ok. Van drivers and private taxis - Lethal, but I'll add Nissan's to the list!.It's happened to me also, many times.
Elbows mend pretty quick and I've not bothered with a sling beyond about 3 days as the muscle just wastes away. Happy convalescence.
Wednesday 4 October 2006 9.40pm
Thanks, Kayonza. Good to hear that elbows mend quickly.
Anonymous User
Wednesday 4 October 2006 10.09pm
That's awful! Wish you a speedy recovery.
Wednesday 4 October 2006 11.01pm
Argh! Really sorry to hear this. I hope that you recover quickly and that it doesn't stop you cycling about!!

If it makes you feel any better (and it probably won't) but I read somewhere that hit and run drivers are often tortured with horrendous guilt (as they should be of course). Here's hoping that the police get him - before he kills someone. There is loads of CCTV about there - maybe they can get some pics that will help.

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Thursday 5 October 2006 5.05am
What a nasty story, so sorry Zappomatic. Hope indeed he will be tortured with guilt, but I dont think so somehow. Anyone who does what he did is obviously impervious to such sentiments.
Thursday 5 October 2006 11.18am
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Unfortunately I've just changed job and no longer commute by walking by St. George's Circus as otherwise I might well have been passing at that time and seen something.

There's something about St. George's Circus though - on more than a couple of occassions I've been crossing by the zebra crossing only to have drivers either speed up to try and get through before me or else just completely ignore that it was a zebra crossing and carry on driving straight at me. I think it is one of the worst junctions for driver behaviour in London (though I don't know if it's a specific accident blackspot).
Thursday 5 October 2006 11.42am
Hope you get better soon. What outrageous behaviour by the driver.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 5 October 2006 1.08pm
I hope you will get better very soon. An accident can be quite traumatic. This roundabout is a dangerous spot and I always avoid it by turning into Webber Street. I am pretty sure that South Bank University's Hall of residence has a camera on the side. You never know what this driver is capable of. Maybe he was under the influence of drugs or alcohol or did not have insurance or even a driving licence. This is very common. If I were you I would also report the accident to the police as they would know where cameras are located and even if they can't help, this would at least show up in the statistics of dangerous spots for cyclists in London.
Thursday 5 October 2006 3.11pm
Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I shall be going to the police this evening to report it - last night I just wanted to get my arm seen to and go to bed!

As a pedestrian I've been nearly hit by cars on the crossings there, and as a driver I've suffered some near misses from other drivers suddenly changling lanes or direction without looking or indicating, and been bumped when stopped to let people cross! I was also once nearly mown down by a kamikaze cyclist who suddenly went onto the pavement at a dropped kerb.

Everyone using that junction just seems so impatient.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: