Happy Times at Butlers Wharf

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 4 October 2006 9.46pm
There has just been the most fantastic firework display on the river at Butlers Wharf. I walked down to the river and caught the last minute or so. Afterwards much to my delight a ten piece band which was positioned on the outside terrace of Pont de la Tour then struck up with 1920's jazz pieces and people were dancing on the riverside. Someonehas obviously had a fabulous party and whilst some may object to such a display of wealth, I personally would much rather they spent it than take it with them. Especially when local residents are able to benefit as I did tonight!
Anonymous User
Wednesday 4 October 2006 10.06pm
I saw the fireworks too. They were fabulous!
Wednesday 4 October 2006 10.42pm
Wondered what they were for - they were spectacular. I thought it must be some national celebration I had missed!
Thursday 5 October 2006 9.36am
When MrsR ran out of the bathroom screaming, i thought the house was on fire, or maybe she'd seen a mouse, but no, it was just some really good fireworks that she could see out of the window!
Thursday 5 October 2006 10.43am
Fantastic, but I wish they'd held them a couple of hours earlier! I live on Bermondsey street and was startled out of a very deep sleep.
Thursday 5 October 2006 11.12am
I live on Mill Street so we had a good view of them - we did wonder for a couple of minutes what was going on though. It sounded like a firework factory had blown up, I've never heard such noisy fireworks. They were very good fireworks though.
Thursday 5 October 2006 12.00pm
I live at Java Wharf chuckalata-always funny when the fireworks go off and the whole of the dock go out on to their balconies to watch.

My missus thought she then saw two submarines go past down the Thames heading out of london. Can anyone confirm or denounce this (she had been drinking at the time...)?
Thursday 5 October 2006 12.58pm
From Riverview Heights on Bermondsey Wall West it was like being on the front line. I think the two subs may have been the two huge barges that the fireworks were lanched from being towed away by two tugs seperately. They did look a bit like subs although I had had just had a low calarie hot chokky so I might have bene mistaken. They do have these things from time to time but I wish there was some way to get some prior warning so we invite people round and make an evening of it.
Thursday 5 October 2006 1.02pm
A good way to monitor things happening on the river, including fireworks, is to keep an eye on the Port of London Authority website.

Here is the notice to mariners about last night's display.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 5 October 2006 3.13pm
These looked quite spectacular from Elephant too, and it seemed like a long display.

Seeing from a distance is never as good as being there though - Thames Festival fireworks this year were brilliant, much better than last year.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: