Grange Road Doctors' Surgery

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 5 October 2006 4.27pm
Does anybody know when the new surgery (under the Artesian building) is going to open at Bermondsey Spa and what is going to happen to the old Bermondsey Health Centre?

Friday 6 October 2006 1.54pm
I'm registered at the old clinic and haven't heard anything yet as to when they'll be moving to the Artesian. I think the new building is still being fitted out.

I hope the old building is retained - perhaps redeveloped in some way.
Friday 6 October 2006 2.30pm
Thanks for that, I was going to wait until the new surgery is open to register, but if the Grange Road Practice is simply going to move over the road I may as well do it now.

I spoke with the chap in the show flat at the Artesian building and he said that the flats would be occupied in December and the surgery he (guess)estimated as February.

My guess is that the old health centre will be used for housing, not sure whether it will be re-developed or pulled down.

Saturday 7 October 2006 12.51am
Is the building that Bermondsey Health Centre and the Grange Road Practice are currently in the same one that Alfred and Ada Salter built that pre-dated the NHS by 20 years or so? If not, does anyone know where that health centre was?
Saturday 7 October 2006 12.19pm
I live in Solarium Court (the flats were built in the old original Health Centre). The Health Centre was opened in 1929 and was the first health centre in the UK. It was built in the middle of the Bermondsey slums to treat the local poor with TB and other diseases. There was a solarium on the roof (hence Solarium Court).

The current health centre resides in the front section of the building and, from what I've heard, I think there are plans to develop the front section to form more flats... although don't quote me on this because it's just rumours!
Saturday 7 October 2006 12.56pm
carmenes82 wrote:
Thanks for that, I was going to wait until the new surgery is open to register, but if the Grange Road Practice is simply going to move over the road I may as well do it now.

I asked them when I registered whether I would be transferred to the new practice and they said yes - the practice is just moving, it's not actually changing.
Monday 9 October 2006 2.35pm
Its a wonderful art deco inspired building- the details are terrific. Is it listed? Please please please a sensitive development...does anyone know who designed it?
Monday 9 October 2006 11.26pm
Gwynaethva - thanks for the info. I always wondered if it was the same building. If it's not listed, then it should be.
Tuesday 10 October 2006 11.27am
thats where my husband had treatment after he had polio as a child..he said he had to sit in baths of water and a electric current was passed through... he swore his photo was taken at the same time! i am sure it is listed...
Wednesday 18 October 2006 4.36pm
We had our AGM for the Solarium Court Residents Association last week and apparently I was wrong! It is not going to be developed at all. There is going to be a 'Well Women' practice based there.

However, the front of the building is in a rather sorry state and it could do with some TLC, I hope that they do something about it soon because all the original Art Deco mosiac is falling off in the front over the entrance!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: